Subject Author Posted Replies

Heatalator help
I have a fireplace with a Heatalator. Years ago it was converted to gas log, which is almost useless for heating. I want to convert it back to wood, but I am not sure the Heatalator is safe. Advice...
4
4

furnace blows cold air on summer, but does not blow on winter
My furnace keeps lighting the burners while the blower switch is on winter, but the blower never turns on. When I switch the blower to summer, the blower turns on and stays on, but the burners never...
7
7

Biofuel
I have an opportunity to burn B100 or 100% biofuel from a supplier for a good price. Problem is they say it will take out my o-rings in the burner fuel pump. How long will it take to do that? Beckett...
16
16

HOA: "I don't give a f*** what his problem is..."
Man buys house and lot in Kennewick, Wash. According to HOA rules, he has one year from occupancy to landscape (including irrigation) his 2-acre property. However, the man's reserve unit has been...
6
6

Aluminum triplex in conduit?
Is there any reason not to bury aluminum triplex cable in a rigid nonmetallic conduit? This is out in the country, where I don't care about finer points of the electric code, but it needs to be safe...
3
3

"A" Frame Evaporator Coil Question
We have an almost two year old electric furnace/air conditioning unit with an "A" frame style evaporator coil mounted in the air handler section of the furnace. The evaporator coil sits in a very...
12
12

oil furnace fuel pump
My Olsen furnace is making a whistling noise when using the heating unit only, there is no noise when using air-con. I believe it is the fuel pump (A2VA-7116 Suntec) on a Beckett motor. Question: How...
4
4

Another post on Insulating a cold room
I got some decent advice on the cold room. My cold room has no ventilation to the basement around it. It only vents to the outside. Would it be wise, If I blocked the vents to outside, with, lets say,...
3
3

AC/Heating Checkups
My new Trane will be a year old next month and is running fine. I did not take the extended warranty which would have required me to have the dealer come out once a year and check fluid levels. My...
21
21

Can't open GE washer door.
A friend posted this on another group I belong to (not a Usenet group): "We bought a new high efficiency GE washer in May 2006. It has worked fine until today. When my wife started a load of wash last...
4
4

Help with Well wiring
How do I wire a 110v float switch to a 220v pump? Its a 220 v 1/2 hp Franklin motor on the pump. I have a 400 ft run on #14 wire to the float switch. Where on the pump controler do I wire in the float...
7
7

using old wood
I'm doing some structural work on an old addition. A fair amount of the wood I take off is in decent shape. (No water damage, in particular.) It's T&G sheathing, 2x6's, and (especially) clapboards. It...
16
16

circular saw question
lar saw to cut 1/4" - 3/8" off the bottom of the doors. I had no problem wi= th the first four doors, however a 36" wood door appears to have some metal= in it. About piece of metal about 1/2" wide on...
3
3

bottom of chimney, fireplace cover
Hi, At the bottom of my chimney, there is a cover about 10 inch squared, which can be removed. Do you know what it is called and where i can buy one from? The one in the bedroom is missing. Thanks...
5
5

Pre-Finished Stair Treads?
Hi All, I'm on the tail end of a basement refinishing project and have two questions: 1. Are pre-finished stair treads (for interior staircase) common and something I would be able to find easily, or...
7
7