Help with Well wiring

How do I wire a 110v float switch to a 220v pump? Its a 220 v 1/2 hp Franklin motor on the pump. I have a 400 ft run on #14 wire to the float switch. Where on the pump controler do I wire in the float switch? Or what is the simplest way to use this float switch with this pump?

Reply to
bruce

Since the switch is just a controller, not a disconnect it doesn't need to break both legs. The only question is whether it is rated for

240v and enough HP.
Reply to
gfretwell

You just wire in series with one of the pump leads

Reply to
gfretwell

"Pump Controller" implies that this may be a 3-wire motor. Any control device, such as your float switch would need to be wired in one of the 2 incoming Line wires to the controller.

Can you tell us a bit more about the application of this float switch to a "well pump" ?

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

My guess it is a aerators tank. I have 3 float switches in mine

Reply to
gfretwell

I would purchase a relay and use the float switch to control the relay coil and run the power through the main contacts.

Reply to
Blattus Slafaly

I agree, I don't think I'd want 800 feet of #14 breaking one of the legs to the pump

Reply to
RBM

Totally agree about using a relay also. I would use a 240-24 volt transformer and a 24 volt contactor. With 24 volt, there would be less of a shock hazard and you could use pretty much any kind of wire between the float switch and relay-- thermostat wire, even telephone wire (use the kind with 4 wires and tie wires together so you have a pair of two wires paired together. Larry

Reply to
Lp1331 1p1331