Another post on Insulating a cold room

I got some decent advice on the cold room. My cold room has no ventilation to the basement around it. It only vents to the outside. Would it be wise, If I blocked the vents to outside, with, lets say, insulation and then made a vent from the inside of the cold storage room, to the rest of the basement where it is warm as its finished, would that be a good way to ventilate the Cold storage room and keep up allot warmer as the vents to outside would be blocked ??? Thanks.

Reply to
car crash

Sounds reasonable. See how that works before you add heat to the room.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

house moisture will condense in the cold room ,perhaps turning it into a moldy ,rusty mess

Reply to
beecrofter

Yes depending on climate etc. quite likely that warm moist house air will enter the cool room and condense on things there. For that reason we keep a dehumidifier running almost continuously during much of the year in our basically unheated basement area. Prior to that there was some rusting of tools etc. Our almost completely in ground basement maintains a temp. of around 50 to 55 degrees, even in winter, when not heated. We do put some heat down there occasionally but only because from time to time we use part of it as a workshop. This condensation of warm air (warm air can 'hold' more moisture than cold air) occurs on car windows, in unheated porches and garages. Humidity is normal in most homes; a typical human alsos breathes out several litres of moisture during each 24 hour period.

Reply to
terry