Subject Author Posted Replies

Why Does Toilet OCCASIONALLY not Flush?
I installed a tall, elongated 1.6 GPF toilet 8 years ago. It works fine....most of the time. About every 100th or so flush, the bowl fills with water from the tank but for whatever reason it...
16
16

Excessive Mineral deposits clogging humidifier?
I'm having a problem with what I can only assume are mineral deposits. I usually run my warm mist humidifier in the winter and clean the heating elements about once per month with vinegar....
6
6

Well Water Pressure higher then 60PSI?
So I have a Pump that can produce more then the typical 60PSI @ 30GPM. I'm drawing from a 5000 gallon tank. When looking for a Pressure tank I only see ones that have a 40/60 PSI range on them....
18
18

Thermostat elimination? re-positioning?
I have a Cozy vented Nat Gas space heater with a closed front using a Robertshaw 710-205 gas valve. I recently replaced the valve with a supposedly identical model and I'm now having problems with...

accoridan door for bathroom
Anyone replace a bathroom door with one of those accordian types? I've just finished remodeling one of my 2 smallish 6 x 10 bathrooms and it's so roomy without the door that I'd like to...
20
20

Stair step dims according to code
Greetings All, I am wondering if there is a short set of rules for residential stair tread heights. In a nutshell, we had a second floor added a couple of years back. The stairs are just site-built...
5
5

Ping Don Klipstein - Series String Bulb Shunts
Just what is in the "shunt" built into series string decorative lamp bulbs which takes over when the filament opens? Is it something like a PTC thermistor which heats up and melts some powdered metal...
13
13

Any experience with Quartz portable geaters
This year, I have been getting a number of junk mail ads for these quartz heaters, making all kinds of claims (obviously). They seem pretty expensive at $300 ti $500. Anyone have any experience with...
19
19

Gravel in vinyl fence post holes? Any tips?
I'm starting my new project, a 6 foot vinyl privacy fence. a lot of online resources recommend putting gravel into the holes (6 inches worth). Is this really necessary? i figured with a wood fence...
5
5

Dishwasher and dog
Residue is from water quality, try different soaps or a softner. Dogs should not be washed in the dishwasher, plates should not go on the floor and should be rinsed of food and dog hair first. How do...
32
32

screeching garage door
Good Morning, I'm in a rental and the garage door screeches in certain spots. It's a metal to metal sound. I noticed in Home Depot hey sell a tube of stuff (grease I suppose) for this purpose....
30
30

Recommendations for magnifying lenses for fine work
Any recommendations for magnifying lenses for very fine work? I've used those lighted magnifying desk lamps with some success, but they are only good for desk work. I am wondering if some sort of...
21
21

Oven element replacement question
The lower element of our Maytag CWE5800 oven went bad today. From what I've Googled replacing it should be pretty easy. I'm wondering if I should go ahead and replace the upper element at the...
3
3

AC thermostat malfunction
I have the old style thermostat on my AC that is giving me some trouble. I have played with it a bit and have isolated the problem to the point I think may be someone can tell me if it can be fixed or...
20
20

CPVC male adaptor brass X slip elbow does it exist?
Is there such a thing as an 1/2" elbow, one end of it is a brass male threaded adaptor, the other end is a regular slip CPVC socket? I can make one myself with a CPVC male adapter then glue on a 90...
3
3