Attic Fan Louvres ?

Hello,

Regarding the exhaust attic fans one would put in the end of an attic in a Colonial style house:

I see many of them have louvres that open automatically when there is an air flow thru them.

Why would one want louvres at all ?

The only reason I can see is to keep (some of) the rain off the electric fan motor.

Is there any other reason ?

Sure seems like it would be better to have a constant air flow thru them in the winter, e.g., when the fan is not working.

What am I missing here ?

Thanks, Bob

Reply to
Robert11

You are comparing gable mounted attic ventilators (no shutter), with whole house gable mounted fans, which are considerably larger and move much more air

Reply to
RBM