Chipped bathroom sink

I just noticed a chip in the porcelain of my bathroom sink. It is about l" long and 1/3" wide. I found part of the chipped material, but it doesn't fit exactly, so some bits must have been washed away. I assume the chipped area is due to something VERY heavy falling into the sink.

Questions:

  1. Is there something "plastic" in texture that I can mold into the chipped area?

  1. Or am I better off trying to "glue" the salvaged bit of porcelain into the damaged area. If so, with what?

Any suggestions welcome.

Tx

Reply to
Hypatia

Hi, I think there is a brush on paint(or whatever) in a little bottle you can use. They come several different color. Try HD.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news:_loil.170528$zQ4.133133@en-nntp-

02.dc1.easynews.com:

You left out any hint as to the Z coordinate.... :-)

All assuming this is a white sink.

What I mean is how deep is it? Of course you can't give a measurement. For average small chips they do sell little bottle of porcelain enamel paint. It's like a bottle of nail polish with a brush. You clean the chipped spot real well then put a coat on and let it dry. You'll still see grey and a dent. Over a period of days and several coats to let it dry in between, you fill in the chip with layers. Sure, it doesn't totally disappear like magic but it's not an eyesore that yells out "Look here" at you.

Guess you could try just the porcelain paint or you could try a combo of using the porcelain paint to "glue" and fill the chip you have. Problem is if that chip is not smooth with the rest of the surface, it'll look like shit and will probably get knocked loose again.

You said VERY heavy. If this is some kind of big chunk you may need to look into some kind of waterPROOF epoxy. Not water resistant.

Reply to
Red Green

Try "Porcelain ChipFix".

It has worked for me. Available at Lowes. It's a two part epoxy paint like material.

EJ > I just noticed a chip in the porcelain of my bathroom sink.

Reply to
Ernie Willson

You can try epoxy. Then seal the cracks with nail polish.

Reply to
Phisherman

There are folks who can come to your house and do an invisible repair, essentially re-porcelinizing the chip. They've got torches and everything.

Reply to
HeyBub