Subject Author Posted Replies

Generator for home backup
Hi, I have a question as to what type of generator would be good for home backup. This would be for powering a oil burner, refrigerator, light bulbs and depending on the circumstances of the outage a...
54
54

Fluorescent ring lights
My house has four fixtures that use fluorescent ring lights. They only used one 12 inch ring. I have had to replace them because the ballast was failing (after 18 years). The only replacement fixtures...
4
4

Replacing A Water Heater
I'm replacing my aging (34 year old) AO Smith 52-gal electric water heater. I looked at the GE brand at Home Depot. But since my water heater failed last night, I called a plumber, and he's installing...
34
34

Window Casing
When installing new casing to a new window installation is it better to lay the four pieces down and assemble them like a picture frame, or just go ahead and carefully install each of the four pieces...
2
2

toro tractor wont start! please help!!!
All right, here goes..... i bought a 1986 Toro Lawn tractor on ebay for quite a steal. Briggs 11HPi brought it home and stuck my jump- starter on it and got to work. at first it obviously would not...
26
26

Help finding burner socket for old stove.
Stove is very old (at least 30 years) and made by Westinghouse. Name says "Westinghouse Continental". It has an oven under the range part and again overhead. I find the label but can not read the...
8
8

OT: Swiffer Wet Jet
Has anyone come up with a good concoction to use in a Swiffer Wet Jet instead of buying the refills? I've heard vinegar and water....not a pleasant smell. If so, how did you get the cap off of the...
12
12

Fisher & Paykel gwl11 noise
I've a problem with my F&P washer. A pump or valve howls often when the pump is running or when fresh water is entering the washer. There are lots of valves and a single pump on the unit. Suggestions?...
1
1

Ice maker icing up
Hello group, I have a Kenmore side by side with an ice maker. When it's ready to make more ice, the water comes in through the back of the freezer through an inlet valve and then down a small plastic...
1
1

Guide to electric air compressors for home shops
..There are six things you need to know about compressors: The maximum PRESSURE that it develops, the rated VOLUME it can deliver, the amount of compressed air it can STORE, how LONG the motor can run...
43
43

Good Water Heater Brands
It's time to replace our aging AO Smith 52-gallon electric water heater. Home Depot offers GE water heaters...6, 9, and a 12 year warranty. The 12 year warranty is $385.00 + installation by a plumber...
36
36

Panasonic bath fan... wow.
Since I got my annual bonus check a few weeks ago, I've been picking up a few things here and there that I've been putting off buying "until I have the cash" (yes, I'm old fashioned, barring...
24
24

Glowing Embers for Vented Gas Log Sets
installed one of these last year with no problem. We used it daily for awhile last winter. We'd leave it on for days at a time. I started it up this year and it immediately stated building up soot on...
3
3

The unwanted pole
I have a 4-foot metal post next to my driveway, installed by a previous owner, that once supported a basketball hoop. It's a fairly thin-walled tube about 4 inches in diameter, embedded in a huge...
54
54

fireplace chimney
I have both an upstairs and downstairs fireplace which share the same basic chimney structure. Internally there are two separate terracotta liners, the one for the lower fireplace has a jog where it...
2
2