An Oil Can

Not just -any- oil can ...

One with a little squirt-tip like the old 3-in-1. That ya can slip standard size clear tubing over so as to get to the motor nipple way back in the furnace or whatever.

And one that's practical to refill. And doesn't leak.

Anyone seen such?

Thx, Peetie

Reply to
Peetie Wheatstraw

You mean a refillable like:

Phil Again

Appliance repair stores and appliance parts stores have plastic bottles of oil and rust-buster with a 6 inch tube inside that pulls out for reeaching in someplace. You can put clear tubing over it too.

30 or 35 years ago When I had a car that needed starter fluid all winter to start in the morning, I put a can of starter fluid in my glove compartment, attached flexible tubing to the part of the stiff plastic tube that those cans have, ran the tubing out the back of the glove box, through a little hole in the firewall, under the air cleaner to the carburetor. I stuck a half inch piece of the stiff tubing into the flexible tubing and attached it there.

For the next couple winters, until I got rid of the ar, I just had to open the glove box to spray starter fluid in my carburetor. Very easy.

Reply to
mm

Doesn't say anything about "refillable".

Have you, personally, refilled such a unit? Many times?

100% practical? And doesn't leak?

Thx, P

Reply to
Peetie Wheatstraw

Tubing or no tubing, I don't use the 'product' mentioned in the link above for anything... it turns anything it gets on into a gummy mess.

Erik

Reply to
Erik

And they're refillable!

Reply to
mm

Hard to find. Most are crap especially in the US auto stores. I got a couple good ones from Harbor freight tools. Some things ARE made better in China. I got one from VIP and you have to pump it 50 times to get some oil out of it every time because it looses it prime and it leaks and a piece of shit.

Reply to
Van Chocstraw

I take nobody ever smoked in your car?

-- aem sends....

Reply to
aemeijers

Yeah, I got 1 like that in the basement. Dunno why I haven't thrown it out.

I may try Harbor freight.

Thx, Peetie

Reply to
Peetie Wheatstraw

Nobody did, but there was no leakage, even when I was using it. The ether smell is very noticeable, and there was none.

And I only needed it for the first start in the morning.

Reply to
mm

On your next visit to your doctor or vet, ask for a plastic syringe - the type with removable needle. These sometimes include a snap-on cap over the output port. Paired with a piece of plastic tubing, it is handy for delivery of oil, glue, etc. They are available in various sizes.

Medicare probably won't cover the cost. MediCar might.

Reply to
Bryce

I've also had rather poor results with three in one.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Yes, I have such a device in a couple of my tool boxes. Heating and AC guys use this kind of thing quite regularly.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I've seen such at least once.

But the HVAC supply won't sell to "Mere Human Beans"?

Reply to
Peetie Wheatstraw

Time to step back a couple steps. Figure out what you're trying to do, and then consider other ways to accomplish such. Lets see, you need a certain type of oil..... that's a start.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Huh???

It's just handy-around-the-house stuff. I dunno what-all it'll get used for.

I gotta little can of True Value oil from years ago. If I can get clear tubing on it, it'll cover most of the bases. But it's not refillable.

Part of the reason I posted was to demonstrate that such a simple, very useful thing is largely not- to-be-found. The folks that control our household lubricant market are not too concerned about making such available to us?

Reply to
Peetie Wheatstraw

Did you read my post?

They're only concerned about what they think people will buy. That's the system.

Reply to
mm

Peetie Wheatstraw wrote: ...

It clearly has a lid so w/ an appropriate funnel, sure it could be refilled as often as desired. It appears plastic so it will possibly wear out, but how expensive can a new one be (even if you simply toss the worthless initial contents)???

Take the old can you have and do the same...

The poster w/ the suggestion for syringes has the right idea--particularly the intermediate-sized veterinary ones are great for much other than their primary purpose including using them as the refilling mechanism for other things.

--

Reply to
dpb

There are two appliance parts stores within 3 miles of me. They're both doing well, selling switches, electric oven burners for stoves, more stuff than home depot sells.

This may be more than average but there are at least 4 or 5 such stores in Baltimore.

And one still sells the product I mentioned, and the other did and maybe still does.

Some of the stuff that Sears used to sell for its own major appliances the sign there now refers people to Tribles, which has two stores in the Baltimore area. I can't remember all they have, and most of it was behind the counter anyhow, but it's a lot.

A lot of the customers are repair men. They certainly don't make a living on people like me. :)

15 locations in Maryland, one of your smaller states, although we do have about 8 Congressmen. I offer this just to show the kind of store, not to order from, but by golly they have an online store, but now they say it's closed for maintenance. But if you live in a city they probably have a store like this and maybe the same products.

It's an all translucent plastic bottle, like a ketchup dispenser but smaller, with a bigger nozzle and a tube in that that comes out when pulled, and a red plastic cap on the tube. Oil or "rust buster".

The store 3 blocks from me I think is independent and probably doesn't have a webpage, but I've bought a pump for a whirlpool washer, and the broil/bake switch for a whirlpool stove, .

At tribles I bought thermostats for electric water heaters and something else I forget.

Reply to
mm

When syringes were easy to get and you weren't a criminal for getting one, I got one to refill the cartridges for my cartridge pen. Eventually I bought 4 spare pens in case I lost them and they came with 28 new cartridges. But after 1 1/2 bottles of ink, I lost interest in cartridge pens. The ink didn't dry as quickly as roller ball ink, and sometimes I blurred it with my hand. I still have the pens, the ink, and the cartrides 35+ years later!

Reply to
mm