Subject Author Posted Replies

I strained my back - OUCH
I was doing a bunch of landscaping in my back yard yesterday. Digging, trenching, fixing sprinkler lines, back filling. When I was doing it I did not feel a thing, it was during the end of the day...
62
62

Property Survey Legal Question
I had a company perform a survey on our house/property. They marked the 4 sides and their property lines. They marked the 4 fences, and their relationship to the property lines (how far off they are...
10
10

Changing media( resin) in a water softener
Long story short I think the resin is shot in a 12 + year old softener that sat unused for 10 years before being put into use. At best the resign just may be inefficient compared to what is available...
7
7

chimney question
I bought a 1925 built house last year. When we got it we had a chimney guy come out and fix the top and check it. He re built the top of the chimney and said we are good to go. I asked about it being...
8
8

[OT?] Going away for the holidays. Good idea to turn the main water valve in the house off?
We're going through a nasty cold spell right now (-13F/-25C to -22F/-30C) and it's expected to last for quite a while yet. And my coworker suggested that I turn the main water valve off in the house...
24
24

J-siding missing on vinyl siding next to chimney: pics
The siding next to my chimney is missing J-channel. Its been like this since I moved in. Somebody tried to caulk it apparantly. Does a j- channel serve any purpose other than aesthetics and looks? Or...
1
1

Gas furnace - bad thermocouple?
I've got an older "Day and Night" natural gas furnace in my home, model #800-19a. Setting the mercury thermostat turns the blower on, the standing pilot is lit, but the burners do not ignite. After...
18
18

Batteries - what type?
I have three "power-off" lights that are dead because the batteries have died. They take two AA batteries which I want to replace. Which type would be the best - Lithium, Nickel-Cadmium, or Nickel...
24
24

Coin op Dyer Timmer
I have a older GE vd331cw4181 coin op cothers dryer. Does anyone have a idea on the adjustment , longer, of the timer? Thanks kindly
4
4

Gas dryer intermittent problem...
Help, please... Kenmore "Ultra Fabric Care" gas dryer, "Heavy duty 80 series", Model #97586210 75862... Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Push the Start button, and... Sometimes you hear just...
6
6

Cleaning new tiles
I just put new tiles in three bedrooms and did the grouting and all. Lots of work but no special difficulty. My real problem is getting rid of that whitish film which keeps on re-appearing despite...
11
11

How Stable is STA-BIL??
I'm aware that the new STA-BIL on the store shelf is red. But it has a different mix ratio, so I assume it's a different formulation. Anybody know what color it was on the shelf 6-8 years ago? P "Take...
10
10

Deck House repair restoration etc
I was wondering if anyone was aware of a newsgroup, message board, forum, etc that relates to the problems, repair, and other issues related to these houses. I referring to the company in Acton Mass...
2
2

Best Waterproofing Solution
Hello, I have a small window into my crawl space area that has cracked masonry around it. When it rains, water flows into the crawl space area via these cracks. I'm not sure how I should repair this....
5
5

Engine in John Deere Snow Thrower 522 Cannot Run without Choke
I have a John Deere Snow Thrower Model 522 that has a Tecumseh engine (model HSSK50). Since several years ago, I have been having a problem running its engine without any choke. It will run if I put...
38
38