Replacing a cracked window

I'm guessing a bird flew into one of our windows and cracked the outer pane.

There are strips around the perimeter of the glass. Do I simply pry those strips off to get the glass out?

Reply to
Mitch

Double pane?

Find the name of the manufacturer. I had one break and found out the glass was lifetime guaranteed. They wanted money to install it though, I did that myself.

First advice: wear gloves and be careful.

With mine, I used a flat knife to break the seals and pulled the strips out.

Reply to
Dan Espen

I'm almost positive it's Anderson. My father-in-law built the house, and I'm pretty sure that's all he uses. But we don't speak any more, so I'll have to check it out.

I actually called a "window expert" called Superior Exteriors. The owner of the company came out to look at it, and said it's impossible to repair or replace (it's custom, so it's stained wood to match all the other trim). You believe that? It's impossible to fix a window. So what? Demolish the house?

He said there are usually strips to pull off and access the glass. Then he left. I looked again and the strips are there in plain sight, on the outside of the window.

Window expert.

Reply to
Mitch

Window experts are in the business of selling windows ;-)

Call a glass expert! A good local glass company should be able to handle the job quickly, safely, and inexpensively.

I've had several window panels replaced due to failed seals. My friendly local glass company came and measured/quoted. A few days later they brought new glass units and installed them -- took 15 mins each.

Reply to
Malcolm Hoar

Okay, I called a glass company and the guy said it's really easy if I just bring the window in. When I told him there's no way to remove the window, he said he'd come out later and look at it.

He thought there should be release catches, but there aren't. The window itself is wood, and the sash is vinyl. All I can see is that you'd have to unscrew the vinyl sash from the frame.

Reply to
Mitch

If they are andersen like you said before, the ones I've worked on you have to remove the vinyl track from one side of the frame and then the sashes can come out. It's a bit of a PITA. I've had to do this on several windows in my house to replace rotted sashes and/or nonfunctional counterbalances.

here's an old thread where someone posted good instructions at least for my particular windows:

HTH

nate

Reply to
N8N

Thanks for that. Sounds like exactly what I have: screws on left side only.

Either way, I'll have to wait until warm weather. Our house is for sale. I'll have to put a note on the window to let people know we intend to fix it.

Reply to
Mitch

Glass guy came out. It's going to cost $135 total, including labor. Much less than I thought it would be.

I didn't realize that the whole double-pane "module" is a sealed unit. I was under the impression that you pop out the broken pane and pop in a new one.

Reply to
Mitch

It varies.

Mine was a garden window. The side panes are removable by pulling the strips. The crank out pane is one unit.

Reply to
Dan Espen

That is a decent price for my area. Tempered dual pane would certainly cost more. Is this a real glass shop; meaning, they cut and build the panes on site?

Sealed with hot butyl caulk, iirc.

Glass work can get one cut real fast. Always have on heavy gloves as a DIY.

Reply to
Oren

No. It's Argon-filled, so they order the whole unit, and install it onsite.

Reply to
Mitch

Sorry, I should have asked it the local glass shop will build the unit in thier local shop. Those are the folk to buy from.

Reply to
Oren

On 2/9/2009 5:49 PM Oren spake thus:

Do local glass shops actually do that? Building sealed, noble-gas-filled multi-glazed units doesn't exactly sound like a cottage industry.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

Most local glass shops are NOT equipped to make the "thermal unit" as they are called. There are relatively few companies that actually make these. Your local window supplier, who would do the installation, generally comes out and measures it and orders it from their supplier. Some have Argon, some don't - and there is "low E" and "Low E squared" glass. When it comes to thermal units there are so-so manufacturers, good manufacturers, and excellent manufacturers.

The excellent ones use a plastic spacer, not aluminum. They use 3 kinds of mastic - one to glue the glass to the spacer, one to seal the endges, and a third to protect the sealed edge, from what I remember from my window company days.

So-So units last up to 5 years. Good units last at least 8 or 10, and the excellent ones are generally good for well over 25 years.

Reply to
clare

If your local glass shop is doing it they are either VERY large, or supplying crappy product. The good suppliers have pretty complex equipment.

Reply to
clare

Yup. It's not too expensive if you can find a good glass guy to replace the unit (versus the window).

Yes, and you don't need a local supplier to actually make the unit. Just a good local guy who knows how to measure and spec the unit. He needs a good (proven) supplier and he needs to know how to install the thing properly.

There a still quite a few around but, if you find a good glass guy, save his phone number for next time. Friends and neighbors will thank you too.

BTW, chances are he'll replace your car windshield for a good price if the need arises down the road ;-)

Reply to
Malcolm Hoar

I have several shops close by that will replace the insulated glass same day. Bring it in by 10 Am pick it up after 2PM My windows and I believe most today come out easily and you can just bring it in and save quite a bit.

Reply to
sligoNoSPAMjoe

Yeah, but some folks hate handling glass, me included!

Many years ago, following an accident with a single pane window, I went to a local glass shop.

These people were totally geared to serving folks who had just experienced a "glass disaster".

"Come on in, take a seat and have a nice cup of tea" the man said. He calmly took me through the measurements, made sure I had *all* of the materials to install the new glass. Then he gave me excellent detailed instructions on the installation including some great tips.

Meanwhile, another worker had cut my glass to size. As he held it out for me, I looked a little apprehensive and he said "Would you like me to load it into your vehicle for you?". I responded in the affirmative, with considerable relief!

30 years later and I still remember it well. What a fabulous example of a business understanding their customers and truly serving them ;-)

These people really understood that many of the clients walking through their door were under considerable stress and proceeded accordingly. That's what I call brilliant!

Reply to
Malcolm Hoar

Hmmm, according to the website, Anderson has a 20-year warranty on glass. So maybe I'll end up paying nothing. We'll see.

Reply to
Mitch

That would be "Andersen" w/ an "e" not "o" to be pedantic...

I've not read the warranty but I suspect it won't cover breakage that was, presumably, from an outside source, not an inherent failure/defect in the window.

Mostly what they're guaranteeing is the sealed unit and the actual structural integrity. Like the "road hazard" exclusion on tire treadwear or blowout warranty.

--

Reply to
dpb