Subject Author Posted Replies

Problem with 4 yr old Whirlpool Refridgerator
I have a @ 4 yr old top freezer Whirlpool fridge that just quit cooling?? The compressor was starting to run continuously and the lower fridge compartment was barely able to stay at about 43 F. The...
14
14

dryer hums and doesn't spin
I have a gas dryer model LGR4634JQ2 that stop spining. The motor only hummed but don't spin. I replaced the motor and it still only hums (with or without the belt attached). with it humming if I spin...
10
10

Heating in living room very uneven and uncomfortable in winter
I'm no expert, but you didn't mention any cold air returns. Without them, the cold air in a room has nowhere to go and the air just stratifies, with nowhere to go. A room that size seriously needs a...
14
14

Vacuum cleaner
Vacuum cleaners put out a lot of heat after a few minutes of running. How about heating your house by putting a couple in each room on thermostats?
8
8

Whar to pay an out of work relative for re-modeling work
I have a relative who is out of work. I thought I would help him with some re-modeling work. He is an experienced home re-modeler and I don't question his experience. My question is what to pay? The...
29
29

Insulating the furnace room
Building code says it should be covered with gypsum board or equal. The board is made from a fire retarding material, but in the presence of a flame it will burn. Given that it is a furnace room, I'd...
18
18

Ariens snowblower wheel drive repair
Hello, Does anyone know how to remove the drive pulley on an ariens 1028 snowblower? This morning I found that the wheel drive was not working. I found that housing for the friction wheel shaft was...
1
1

Help w/ garbage disposer repair
We got something stuck in the Insinkerator. From the sound of it, I think it's a small metal object. I can turn it using the hex-tool inserted into the bottom of the unit, and it works for a few...
16
16

Genie Pro 88 won't close
I have a old Genie Pro 88 garage door opener. The door opens fine but when I try to close it is moves a few inches and then auto reverses. I tried adjusting the auto sesitivity screw at the back of...
10
10

Burn on kitchen formica counter top
In a rental unit, I have a burned spot(about 2" in diameter )on the formica kitchen countertop. Short of replacing the entire kitchen countertop surface, are there other solutions that have worked for...
2
2

Toilet Tank Lever
Yesterday I completely rebuilt a 20-year old toilet. Everything went well except for one issue with the tank lever. The new one looks identical to the old one, but there is a lot of play in the...
4
4

Unusual Kohler tub drain tool needed
I have a Kohler tub waste / overflow set that I'm replacing (installed around 1940), and I've run into a snag. The drain strainer doesn't use the standard X-shaped innards, and I need some sort of...
3
3

Electricity problem
Hi, I have a question about a problem I have encountered. All the receptacles in 2 of my upper bedrooms stopped working, after I checked the breaker had tripped in the main fuse box. It worked a few...
18
18

attic moisture
I am the new homeowner of a 1927 Craftsman bungalow and am very concerned after finding the unfinished attic is extremely moist to the point that the wood is damp to the touch and has what is now...
17
17

Copper Pipes / Electrical Panel Clearance
In my basement there is a cold water pipe (copper) that is approximately 1.5 feet in front of my electrical panel. It seems awfully close. Does code allow pipes to be ran this close? Amy
15
15