Source for 55 gallon plastic drum ?

I would like to own a 55 gallon drum , preferably made of plastic. I want this to be able to haul K-1 kerosene fuel for my oil heaters. I suppose I could use a metal drum but prefer the plastic as it would be so much lighter.

I have looked at Northern Industrial Tools and at Harbour Freight, but I find nothing like this.

Any ideas of a source for this ?

Thanks

James

Reply to
James

Look in the Yellow Pages under "Barrels or Drums" One of the big suppliers is US Plastic. They are based in Ohio but have distribution. I'd look for a used one if possible.

is $121 plus shipping

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

55 gallons of kerosene weighs 375 lb. a steel drum weighs 44lb, plastic weighs 22 lb. 419 vs 397 wont make moving it easier. A 30 gallon plastic drum would be easier at near 226lb
Reply to
ransley

As someone else noted, when it's full "not so much"... :)

Virtually every place has multitude of commercial locations that have barrels routinely. Check w/ the various food processing facilities, etc.; most of them use almost exclusively plastic these days. The second-hand freight/salvage/etc. places generally have market for them; if it's a place of any size undoubtedly there are a few individuals as well on the Craig's list or local radio swap show, etc. Flea markets, etc., another good bet.

As the other poster said, you'll probably find 30 gal much more suitable for handling.

--

Reply to
dpb

Check with your local lawn and landscape people. Many of the products used in that industry come in plastic 55's. Like roundup and fertilizers, and some pesticides. If they're not totally anal retentive (like the one i worked for) they may let you have one. We used to cut the tops of and use them for trash cans. But the fert supervisor would have a fit, 'cause "they're supposed to be disposed of properly". We would just tell him to piss of and go about what we were doing.

Steve Barker

I'll throw in that if OP is using kero in bulk quantities, he either needs a farmer-style elevated tank (if legal in his area) with bulk delivery, or one of those purpose-built truck bed tanks with a pump and hose. Decanting from a barrel without a pump is not trivial, and when you spill it and it gets in the water, the fines are expensive. Metal barrels rust and leak, and plastic barrels weaken from UV and cold. A unexpected split in a near-full barrel could ruin OP's whole day.

Why reinvent the wheel? There is proven off-the-shelf technology for this application.

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

I see 'em all the time on Craigslist. Cheap.

Reply to
HeyBub

aemeijers wrote: ...

So use a pump...

A hand barrel pump is $30 or thereabouts.

--

Reply to
dpb

Plus, you can get one with a hooker inside.

Reply to
mm

It's called a "Barrel of Fun," which, I'm sure, is more fun than a barrel of monkeys.

Reply to
HeyBub

Thanks for all the replies. I would only have to "handle or move" the tank when empty. I take my trailer to the fuel vendor, and put the gas in the barrel, and then back to my remote cabin, and would pump it out with a 12 volt pump that runs off the Jeep battery.

I do see that the weight of the steel drum is not that much more than the plastic, yet the plastic would still be even easier for me to pick up and throw on the trailer.

From the info posted, the steel drums are subject to rust and leaks, and the plastic ones suffer from uv rays and severe cold. I will take all of this into account.

Some very good points were posted on this, I appreciate them all, and I will make note of all the points.

My other consideration is what kind of top I would have on the barrel that I would buy. I suppose if I got the right top, I could make some sort of home-made "mount" for the 12 volt pump.

Thanks again to all.

James

Reply to
James

Laundries get their detergent in 55gal plastic drums. I've gotten a few from them.

Red

Reply to
Red

Find a carwash and find out who suppliles them with soap & such. I have a friend in the business, he is happy to give them away, they build up so fast, if he doesn't give them away they make his place an eye sore.

Reply to
Eric in North TX

James wrote: ...

Get a barrel (actually a drum) that still has the top and bungs. Barrel pumps are made to fit the bung holes...

--

Reply to
dpb

Do not reuse any barrel that has had pesticide, hebricide or other nasty chemicals.

Remains of the previous chemicals will leach into your kerosene and poison you when you heat with it.

TMT

Reply to
Too_Many_Tools

Reply to
Michael B

Concur with that suggestion. Take your checkbook and head down to Farm & Fleet, Tractor Supply, any major farm supply store. Farmers handle fuel routinely and their equipment is time proven. Another alternative is the automotive equipment stores. Look for things like the 'Gas Buggy" that are complete with a pump and hose. Expect to pay over $300 for one, but keep in mind your safety and health depend on not handling hazards in foolish fashion. Good luck.

Joe

Reply to
Joe

I think that is a bad plan because the pesticides will dissolve in the kerosene which the OP said he is burning in heaters.

Reply to
George

My local feed store sells used ones for about $15 (blue plastic). The one I got had Snapple in it (which I think is some kind of food product).

I want to get a steel drum with a removable lid and locking band but there aren't any around where I live. I found some free ones on Craig's list but they were already gone. It seems like just about any action shoot-em-up movie has a whole bunch of steel drums and they either get shot up or blown sky-high. What a waste. Maybe Hollywood got them all from around here.

Reply to
Ulysses

LMMFAO!!! ya, you're one of them. A simple rinse with soap and water cleans the barrel. DuH!

Reply to
Steve Barker