Where can I buy a cheap used steel barrel?

Need to construct a cheap firepit... Was hoping that a used barrel could be had for $5 or so...

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Ignoramus9040

Where do you live? There's a place near Baldwin (south-west of Cadillac, MI) that sells pre-made burn barrels for about that price.

Ray

Reply to
Ray

Look under "recycling" in your phone book and start calling. Someone will know.

Reply to
Vox Humana

A few dozen miles west of Chicago.

Ignoramus9040

thanks, at least I know what to look for...

Ignoramus9040

IRAQ There are lots of them dropped off of military vehicles after the contents are spent. They are lying all over the desert, and free for the taking.

Reply to
rwgunther

Hit the trucking companies and mechanic shops. They buy stuff in drums, then have to pay to get rid of the drums if they can't give them away or sell them.

Jan

Reply to
Jan Flora

The metal wheels from tractor trailer tires make good fire rings. Stack them up to the height you want. I've got 4 stacked. Some times slightly bent ones can be had for free at tire dealers.

RWL

******* Remove NOSPAM to reply *******
Reply to
RWL

look in the yellow pages, barrels. That's how I got my 55-gallons drum.

Reply to
simy1

like oil change places, that sort of thing? will also call some trucking cos.

Thanks.

Ignoramus25780

How much did it cost you?

Ignoramus25780

Repair shops that repair big tractor trailers, construction equippment, and of course auto repair shops, however, the heavy equippment shops are going to be the best place to look.

n.

Reply to
North

Around here some Feed Stores carry them as farmers/ranchers use them for feeding troughs, dog houses, and burn barrels. I think they are around 6.50 though (Eastern Ok).

Steve M

Reply to
Stephen Moore

Many people use the standard 55 gallon drum but they for a burining barrel. However the steel of a 55 gal drum burns out fairly quickly.

The inside of a 55 or 60 gallon water heater may be a better choice. Many of them are now enameled which will not oxidize. The threaded holes for the electric heating elements can be used to connect the burning barrel to a blower to introduce air directly in to the fuel for more complete burning and producing higher temperatures to burn off any pollutants.

The Independent of Clackamas County, Oregon

"The great questions of the day will not be settled by means of speeches and majority decisions ... but by iron and blood."

(Otto Von Bismarck, Speech, Sept. 30, 1862.)

Reply to
The Independent

Thanks to all. After a few calls, I found a truck repair place that had one, they told me to stop by tonight. We'll see how it goes.

Now, a question, what is the best way of making a firepit out of such a barrel. I do not need it for cooking, etc -- only for burning brush, trash, that sort of thing.

Ignoramus32482

Thanks to all, I found a place that will give me a used steel drum, hopefully all will go well. I need it to make a "firepit" to burn brush and such. What would be a good way to do it, to make an safe and efficient firepit.

thanks

Ignoramus32482

Got a cutting torch? Cut off the top of the barrel, then cut 4-6 2" holes around the side of the barrel about 4" from the bottom. If no cutting torch..use a hammer and a nice sharp large chisel. A brick chippers chisel works ok. Wear hearing protection and bring your lunch. It will take a while.

Useage.....

Stand on 5 cinderblocks

Insert flammable debris

Ignite.

Step away.

Gunners note....Its considered a Good Thing to have a piece of expanded metal grating to lay over the top as it tends to keep the big flaming pieces of paper and large burning leaves from wafting upwards and then landing on your or anothers property, and setting a fire that burns down the county.

A 6' steel pipe is also handy to stir the flaming material during the course of the flambe. Do not be come too attached to your eyebrowes or eye lashes. Good leather gloves are handy. A shower afterwards is optional.

Gunner

That rifle hanging on the wall of the working-class flat or labourer's cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there. - George Orwell

Reply to
Gunner

I have a grinder...

Thanks. I was , however, thinking of cutting a bigger opening around the bottom, like a little smiley, say 3" high by 12" high, 4" above the bottom, for easy removal of ash.

I was thinking about having some sort of a chimney on top, but maybe grating is the way to go. Yes, I would hate to see cinders flying out of that thing.

I used to have a firepit in our summer house when I was a kid, and definitely the point about eyelashes is very relevant. That firepit was simply a barrel lying on the side.

Ignoramus32482

Just tip it on dge to remove the ashes. Much better access to the total

Dick

area.

Reply to
Richard Cline

A couple people mentioned good ideas. The secret is to get a good draft.

Find some old fence and fold it several times, or something similar that has lots of holes, but will still hold the trash. Use some old rocks or bricks to hold it above the ground by a foot or so. Put the barrel on top.

To use it, put the stuff that will burn well on the bottom. If you have some sticks that you need to get rid of, put them above that. Use a lighter or propane torch to light the paper. I like to do it from underneath because fire burns up, not down. When the fire starts to grow, start tossing the trash it. Because of the good draft, the flame will be hot and plenty of oxygen will be available for the more difficult stuff. That avoids the black smoke and nasty smell.

Ray

Reply to
Ray