Basement window and water pool

Basement window and water pool open original image

When it rains, get a pool of water by my stairs. Sometimes it almost reaches the window. I have very little money what can I do to redirect the water or prevent flooding. All answer are welcome.Please help me!

Reply to
Ms.T.J.

Sump pumps aren't terribly expensive. Maybe you could put a small catch tank at the lowest spot then put the sump pump in the tank. You'd need some hose to get the water away from your stairs. Craigslist, maybe.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

What's that white pipe at the right? If that's where the roof drains, you should add pipe until the water is directed away from the building.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
angelica...

I didn't look at the picture. The lower pipe should be bigger than the upper pipe so it would catch all of the water coming down. Maybe there is some sort of seal between the two.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

The only way to do this is to direct any water away from the building-window. In your case, since you can't raise the window, it to lower ground. It will have to slope downwards from the window to the fence. What is the black pipe by the fence, a sump pump? What is the white pipe on the wall, an A/C discharge? Water flows downhill and your picture it appears the ground is relatively flat. So you will have to dig (preferably) or pump where you want it to go. Let us know what you do.

Reply to
Tekkie©

A dry well might work. I solved a similar issue and it's worked for 35 years.

My backyard is almost a foot higher than the entrance to my basement. The ground slopes towards the door and there is no way to fix the grade. When I moved in it looked like this.

During heavy downpours, that area would fill with water. During the worst of the storms, it would fill up enough to come in under the door.

After the second time it happened - in the first year I lived there - I got a plastic 55 gallon drum, drilled/cut a bunch of holes in the top and bottom and buried it below the patio blocks. Free.

Then I built a small "deck" to level the area so it's basically a flat walkway from the door to the yard. I don't know, maybe $30? (I recently replaced a couple of the boards.)

Like I said, 35 years and not a single drop of water has come into basement. In fact, I've never even seen standing water in the original area. The dry well handles it all.

Reply to
Marilyn Manson

Sure, as long you include "straight down" as one of your directions.

Not necessarily.

No slope is needed if a dry well can be installed right at the problem spot. See my other post. (Just my way of doing something to help humanity)

True, and digging straight down to install a dry well might be an option.

Please note that I have used words such as "if" and "might". In my situation my free 55 gallon dry well has done its job for 35 years, but one size does not fit all.

Reply to
Marilyn Manson

And pipes and foundations and roots and property lines and, and, and.

Reply to
Marilyn Manson

I never gave that a thought. Irrigation wells have gravel packing around the outer well casing. What about pieces of 4" or so of pvc pipe buried in a group if a barrel isn't available? Drill holes, cut slots in the pipe. Put gravel or whatever is available around it. Ace Hardware, Menards etc should have something to substitute for gravel if need be.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

First problem is that one picture doesn't show much, it's just a wet outside area. Where is the water coming from? What's the grading around the area? Where are any downspouts? Gutters overflowin? If it can't be solved by other measures, then I agree installing a basin and sump pump is a possible solution.

Reply to
trader_4

Sump pumps aren't terribly expensive but proper installation might be. You can't (well, shouldn't) just toss an extension cord on the ground and call it "installed".

A properly wired GFCI receptacle and possibly some underground conduit/Romex will be required. Local code applies.

Then there might be trenching involved to get the water to the catch basin and then out to an area where it won't flow back down. Like maybe into the neighbor's basement. ;-)

Winter temps in OP's area get down below freezing. The system may need a way to be blown out and winterized. Hopefully, at an average of only 13" of snow per year, winter thaws wouldn't cause a water issue, but it is a risk.

The cost of that not "terribly expensive" sump pump is beginning to add up.

Here's a video of an outdoor sump pump being installed, which includes some of the items I mentioned above.

Marilyn Manson

Possible, but if that garbage can is accurate, winter temps could be an issue with an outdoor sump pump. Winterization might be required.

Reply to
Marilyn Manson