OT. Purdue U. $10,000/year

This article is favorable to the president of Purdue University.

  The thing that caught my attention was the tuition. "By the time the class of 2023 graduates, they will have paid less to attend here than they did in 2012, he explained. He added that more than half of Purdue students will graduate debt-free in an era in which nearly 70% of all college students take out loans to finance their education."

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

Well sure. They were only 13 years old in 2012. How much could they pay?

Reply to
micky

Seven reasons to go to college.

Dean Hoffman

The useless books comment reminds me that some college text books today cost as much as a year's tuition in my day.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

iirc, a semester's worth of books ran around $100 1964 dollars. Some of them were spiral bound productions written by professors for their captive audience. We used Resnick & Halliday for physics and while Resnick was a professor at least those were real books used in other colleges.

Reply to
rbowman

Mine were far less than that and you could buy used books that were still being used. Today's college professors will put out a new edition frequently to profit from it. I worked with a guy that got a PhD in chem e and wrote a book with his professor and one other grad student and was bragging about getting a royalty check for about $6,000. That was over 30 years ago.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

When my wife was in college she always bought used books and she looked for ones with lots of notes in the margins. She said sometimes the hand written notes were more valuable than the printed page, particularly if it was the same professor teaching.

Reply to
gfretwell

I did too but I am pointing out today that textbook authors frequently put out new editions to antiquate old editions and make more money.

Teaching college used to be a labor of love with teachers earning less that they could in industry but as my eldest son said, universities today are bastions of capitalism making as much money as they can.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

Education in general has been a black hole sucking in excessive amounts of money and people ignore it because "it is for the children". The fastest rise in cost of anything we have in this country is higher education and the results are arguably worse. We are graduating masses of unemployable people who can barely get a job at Starbucks and they carry a burden like a mortgage.

Reply to
gfretwell

"A 2015 Time Magazine article cited Jackson as the highest-paid college president, who "took home a base salary of $945,000 plus another $276,474 in bonuses, $31,874 in nontaxable benefits, and $5.8 million in deferred compensation, for a stunning $7.1 million in total. That works out to more than $1,000 per student at her school".[37] In fall of 2018, another contract extension was approved by the board of trustees through the end of June 2022.[38]

According to the Times Union, published on June 25, 2021, "For years, she has drawn criticism from civil liberty groups who say her administration works overtime to quell dissent and free speech among students and faculty. In recent years, her administration moved to take control of the school?s student-run student union and hired police officers to film students protesting in order to identify them for disciplinary action. The Foundation for Individual Rights in Education, a Philadelphia-based nonprofit group that promotes civil liberties on college campuses, even included RPI on its list of 10 worst campuses for freedom of expression".

In the '60s RPI was ranked with MIT and Stanford.

Now it's #43 with a tuition of $55,600. They've got a hell of a performing arts center though.

I missed a really great program last year:

rbowman

Cut the compensation in half and cut tuition by $500. Parents should be bitching about it.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Ed Pawlowski snipped-for-privacy@snet.xxx wrote

Makes more sense to cut it to 10% of what it is now.

Parents should be

They shouldn?t send their kids there. Its not as if it's anything special.

Reply to
Alex

$6000? When I was in college, I was invited by my English prof to write an essay that would be included in the next edition of the class textbook. My payment was permission to skip the final exam and a guaranteed A on the skipped exam and overall A for the course. I already had an A average, so all I really got was to be excused from taking the final. I didn't think about asking for cash.

Reply to
Jim Joyce

Considering you can go to a better rated college for about half of the tuition I don't know what the parents are thinking. It certainly isn't the pleasant weather and ambiance of Troy.

Being in New York didn't help. Technological schools depend on a synergistic relationship with tech companies and NY discourages business. There was some tie to IBM but I don't know if that's still the case. They built an industrial campus and nobody came.

Reply to
rbowman

That's for sure. It was 50 years ago but not any longer.

Reply to
rbowman

It can pay off for many but it probably costs as much to get a degree in art history as it does in engineering and I doubt those in art history will profit from it. I know a gal with one who has been out of school maybe 5 years and is a secretary. Dad had paid for school but I doubt she would ever make it back if she had to pay for it.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

There are plenty of what used to be called trade schools if the idea is to prepare one for work. Fixing a home AC unit does more real good than discussing Da Vinci at the local coffee shop.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

There used to be lots of the trade schools around , I am not sure now. I went to what I would call a step up from a trade school. It was a 2 year degree in Electronics. I was able to get a decent paying job after finishing it about 50 years ago.

I have a grandson that gratuated with over a 'B' average in some kind of English courses. He even had a couple of his stories and poems published in some kind of book. He spent 2 years in Japan teaching English. Came back over here and can't seem to find a very good paying job in his field.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Googled up my era compared to today and got this:

"In 2020, about 37.5 percent of the U.S. population who were aged 25 and above had graduated from college or another higher education institution. This is a significant increase from 1960, when only 7.7 percent of the U.S. population had graduated from college."

Also looks like half of the high school students that go to college do not graduate. They are left with maybe up to half the debt with no degree.

I do not know what the grad school numbers are but I think that is the way to go. Some professions that only required a college degree like a pharmacist now take a PhD equivalent. When I worked in R&D most of our lab technicians were high school graduates and near the end of my time their most were college graduates, some with masters degrees.

Someone like your grandson could go to law school where a degree in English would be a useful background.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

Some professions are changing. Where I live there are many doctor offices that have the nurse practionars that you often see instead of a doctor. For about 15 years my wife has not seen a doctor at her regular doctor office, just when referred to another place for something special. Many times that is all that is needed. If it was not for the lock the AMA has on the medical field most of the things the nurse practioner does you could do for your self if you could write your own perscriptions.

Years ago most TV and many radio stations had to have an engineer on duty that was licensed by the government FCC. That stopped around 40 years go.

I really need to look into why a pharmacist needs all that education in todays medicine. I can understand some of it back when they mixed the medicine,but all I have seen now comes already in pills or bottles. Anyone that can count could do that. The computers can be programmed to see if any of the drugs interact with others. Do pharmacists count all the pills and fill the bottles or do they have just regular off the street workers doing that now ?

Reply to
Ralph Mowery