OT. Purdue U. $10,000/year

They do have trained assistants that do some of the mundane work but there is still a need for an educated and capable pharmacist in many cases.Some still do specialty compounding. Just as important, they can look at your medications and see interactions.

Most of the time you only see them counting 20 pills out of a bottle but it can be much more involved, especially in a hospital setting.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

It pays better too. Once you take doctors, lawyers, college professors and *some* engineers out of the mix, I doubt college graduates do better than a good trade. They like to commingle those so it is easier to sell that $50,000 art history degree. I even hear my doctors bitching that after they pay all their expenses they don't make that much but they are driving Jags and Benzes.

Reply to
gfretwell

I did a summer "trimester" and fall in one of those (CREI) in 64 and that gave me enough to ace the Navy electronics test. I went to CG boot camp in January 65, navy FT school all summer and in the spring of 66 IBM hired me.

30 years later I retired (age 49). I never looked back.
Reply to
gfretwell

Rite Aid had a computer analyzing the mix of drugs you take 30 years ago, assuming they sold you all of them but if not the pharmacist will do no better. I assume most pharmacies do that now. Compounding pharmacies are really pretty rare, my wife had a drug that needed to be made up and there were only a handful of them in our area, even fewer on her drug plan.. It is a very small percentage. Most just dispense pre made drugs. OTOH pharmacists are doing nurse duties these days like giving vaccinations.

Reply to
gfretwell

There has been a trade school in Milford, NE since 1941. It's still in business.

. This one is focused mainly on farm related stuff.
A search for trade/technical school in Nebraska turned up a few more. Is there any future for independent electronics repair? Computers are so cheap nowadays. TVs?

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

There does not seem to be much profit in the repair of any consumer goods now. Most computers do not need electrial repair,but software 'repair'. Especially now that Windows 10 keeps updating and fouling up some programs.

My electronics education was used for industrial electronics such as calibrating instruments and repairing things like large 'heaters' that worked on 480 volt 3 phase and from a few amps to 300 amps. The controlers for them are so big they have to be serviced in place.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Probably not. I repaired my Mr Coffee by replacing a $4 thermal switch but if I billed myself at my hourly rate it would have been a lot more than a $25 coffee pot. Even replacing the battery in my Nuvi, which is something Aunt Millie isn't going to do, wouldn't make economic sense.

My uncle was in the radio and TV business back in the day when you made house calls and the most dreaded words were 'I have to take it back to the shop.'

I fixed a TV for a woman I was sweet on after swearing her to secrecy that I knew anything about TVs. That, roses, candy, liquor, and so forth didn't do me any good.

Reply to
rbowman

Back in those days it was most often a tube or two. The TV sets were made of mainly common parts and there was often an electronics supply store in town . Now many parts are special to the brand and set. Many of the parts places are out of business in most towns.

About the only weak link in the sets now are some capacitors that are easy to replace compaired to most of the components.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

One of my keep-busy tasks while the adults were drinking Genesee and burning the steaks was working my way through a box of suspect tubes.

That would most likely puzzle most people these days.

Reply to
rbowman

On Fri, 20 Aug 2021 07:45:38 -0600, rbowman posted for all of us to digest...

The Boilermakers!

Reply to
Tekkie©

On Fri, 20 Aug 2021 07:43:29 -0600, rbowman posted for all of us to digest...

I knew a guy who went there - a rare combination of brilliance and common sense. He worked on nuclear harding for spacecraft. Had a heart attack while driving and died at an early age. Shame.

Reply to
Tekkie©

On Fri, 20 Aug 2021 19:53:00 -0600, rbowman posted for all of us to digest...

Another opening that I won't explore ;-)

Reply to
Tekkie©

On Fri, 20 Aug 2021 22:57:14 -0600, rbowman posted for all of us to digest...

Did they really 'test' anything? I take a tube to test and one time it would test fine then a couple of tests late NFG. As long as the filament glowed.

Reply to
Tekkie©

The 539's were the Cadillacs but also required fiddling. I'd set up for a 6AU6 for example, dig all of them I could find out of the box, and then move on to the next type.

The ones down a Woolworth's might check the filament and tie everything together and see if the tube looked like a diode. Being cynical, there may have been a bias toward false negatives. After all the idea was to sell tubes.

The ones that didn't light up were easy; straight to the trash can. (sorry, we weren't into responsible recycling of electronics in the '50s.)

Reply to
rbowman

They just proved that electrons flowed from the cathode to the anode. There was no real testing of the grids. To work in a TV there was a reason for all those other parts.

Reply to
gfretwell

There are two basic types of tube testers. One makes the tube look like a diode and checks to see how much current will flow to indicate if the cathode still has some life left in it. The other type will actually put voltages on all the elements and see if it is amplifying like it should at one set of voltage and current. They do check for shorts of elements to each other. Neither test will tell if a tube will actually work in a circuit, but will tell if the tube does not stand much of a chance of working.

I don't know which the 'do it yourself' testers in the stores did.

Some stores were known to adjust the testers to show a slightly weak but working tube as bad so they could sell more tubes.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

On Sat, 21 Aug 2021 17:58:01 -0600, rbowman posted for all of us to digest...

Responsible recycling was getting used clothes from the older brother/cousin and then passing them along to the younger ones.

Reply to
Tekkie©

Cousin in my case, fortunately a male one. There was about a 10 year generation gap that took care of the clothing program but there was a good supply of dusty bassinets, strollers, and so forth when the next crop was coming in.

Reply to
rbowman

I was an only child. A good proportion of my clothes were bought at the Goodwill. They were rags, though, by the time I was done with them.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
angelica...