Garage door opening randomly

I have a sears garage door opener that opens when it wants. I've removed the batteries from the key pad outside the door, so that's ruled out I have one remote in my truck that is in my driveway and the other remote is in my car. This has happened 4 times so far and I can't find the cause.

Is there a way to tell the opener to only use "these remotes" and ignore others or something along those lines?

This is really frustrating as you can imagine!

Thanks for any help, Rich

Reply to
Rich

I had the same problem and mine also was from Sears. Seems several neighbors close to me also had Sears brand openers. Change the code and see if that works for you, it worked for me.

Reply to
Barb

I had the same problem and mine also was from Sears. Seems several neighbors close to me also had Sears brand openers. Change the code and see if that works for you, it worked for me.

Great thanks for the tip but how do I change the code?

Rich

Reply to
Rich

If you can catch it during the opening/closing sequence, quickly check your neighbors for similar behavior. I'll bet the neighbor just installed his and probably still has the installation manual which should contain the instructions.

Reply to
HeyBub

Changing the code would be a possible solution. I would look on the website to download a manual or cal the 1 800 sears number and they may be able to mail you out one.

If you want to be sure the keypad is not the cause of the problem you really need to disconnect the wires or check out their path for shorts. The keypad or a button completes the electric circuit, so if there is a short the switch would be activated. If you look on the garage door unit you can disconnect the wires which are wrapped around a screw. To find your problem you will have to eliminate as many causes as possible. Good luck.

Reply to
kj1976

they or you would need to change setting. WW

Reply to
WW

OK that is my question how do I change the setting? I know how to teach a remote I don't know how to remove one or more. I just want to start over and teach it the two remotes I use.

Thanks for the help, Rich

Reply to
Rich

Do you think it might be a good idea to give the model number? That way, someone who knew what he was talking about and was interested in helping would have something to go on....

Reply to
Charlie Darwin

OK sorry, 41A5021-2D made 5/99

Rich

Reply to
Rich

Putting the model number and the word "manual" into Google search yields:

Which contains everything Craftsman thinks you need to know about this device.

Spoiler alert: You will be disappointed.

Reply to
HeyBub

Inside the remote is a set of dip switches. On the back of the opener is another set of dip switches. Note how they are set, then change BOTH sets of switches to another number combination. It's just a binary code on is 1 and off is 0. You may need to check the manual for acceptable ranges. If you screw it up, put them back to where they were. (they may do it differently now, mine are older models)

Reply to
Van Chocstraw

Reply to
gnu / linux

Hi, Another possibility is RFI.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Mine used to do that, either the down force or travel setting was off, both were knob adjustments.

Reply to
ransley

Why do they have to be digital?

Reply to
mm

Most people would prefer to use the picture without having to wait for film to be processed.

An instant picture can work. So can a stone tablet and chisel.

Reply to
AZ Nomad

They don't have to be, but digital is sort of instant. No need to process and print the film to see them if you want to go back to original settings.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

20 years ago I was in San Diego when the television news programs were reporting that US Navy ships were conducting tests on radio/radar gear that was driving all the garage door remote control system nuts. Garage doors all over the area were opening and closing over and over again with no apparent cause. People thought the doors were possessed.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Try removing batteries from opener (if it has batteries) and turn off the breaker for a few minutes.

Reply to
norminn

All he needs is a piece of paper and a pencil.

Reply to
mm