removing shower head

I need to remove the shower head on a delta monitor. I have never done this before. Do I need to turn off the water supply? I'm assuming that the shower head just unscrews. Will I need to put some teflon tape over the threads before I screw it back on? I can see that there is some on the threads now. The problem is there is reduced pressure to the showerhead for a while and then after a couple of months, the pressure is good for a while then back down again. I'm assuming there is some debris in there that moves around. Main thing I need to know is whether to turn the water supply off first. The showerhead is 7 years old and worked great until the last few months.

Reply to
Gloria

You have the water shut off with the shower control valve (like you do when you're finished with your shower), and of course no water is coming out of the shower head. Removing the shower head at this point shouldn't require any additional shutting of valves. Maybe I'm missing something or I didn't understand the question.

Reply to
bill allemann

No. Just turn off the shower at the faucet. Yes to Teflon tape, but if you are putting same head back on try it without new tape. New shower heads often come with some tape.

Lou

Reply to
LouB

Thanks so much. I thought that'd be ok, but I didn't want to flood the house or anything. I'll let you guys know how it comes out.

Gloria

Reply to
Gloria

If you have to ask then you shouldn't do the job yourself.

You'd probably turn the head the wrong way, strip it, and then end up having to pay a plumber $800 instead of $70 in the first place.

Reply to
AZ Nomad

Hopefully you are wrong:-)) The fact that she asked makes me think she will not strip it. Lou

Reply to
LouB

:

One danger is that in trying to unscrew the shower head itself, there is some chance of unscrewing where, inside the wall, the other end of the (usually a short section of chromed pipe etc) screws into a fitting. And then later, and being hidden that may leak (inside the wall)? So two wrenches may be needed; one to hold that pipe so it does NOT turn (and take the strain, as t were) and something else to turn (unscrew) the shower head.

However before assuming it IS the shower head! Another cause could be that a washer or something else inside the mixer valve that supplies the not-cold water mix has become defective. There may be debris inside the shower head or pipe or maybe not.

It is for that reason we have never installed a shower mixer control on our bath tubs; preferring the much simpler approach of separate hot and cold valves. Others say mixer valves work well for many years so in this case it may be nothing to do with the shower mixer temperature control valve. But might be best to check first.

Reply to
stan

"Gloria" wrote

Just the part outside that controls it. May drip a little on you from the trapped water but nothing more.

Proabably wont need new tape.

Juat be careful to hold the arm piece that goes into the wall well so you dont accidently unscrew it any. If you do, you'll probably need help getting that fixed and have a leak inside the wall until then.

Could be you just have a degrading washer in there so you'll be able to see that, lift it out, and get a matching one at a local store.

Reply to
cshenk

You might try this first:

  1. Take a 2-quart (or so) plastic (ziploc) bag and fill it with vinegar.
  2. Use duct tape to immerse the shower head in the bag (or bucket) of vinegar.
  3. Let the thing percolate for a few hours.
  4. Remove bag.

The weak acid vinegar will dissolve a lot of the crud in the shower head. It may even dissolve enough so that everything returns to normal.

Reply to
HeyBub

On 3/7/2009 5:51 AM HeyBub spake thus:

I nominate HeyBub's reply for "Best in Thread". Addresses the problem and proposes a good solution.

And by the way, as someone else noted above, no need to shut off anything except the shower valve: then no water will come out of the shower head, right?

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

No.

I'm assuming that the

Yes.

I can see that there is some on the

Put a baggie over the showerhead, fill with vinegar, tie, soak overnight.

Reply to
Phisherman