Subject Author Posted Replies

Question about plumber's responsibility for a leak that didn't show up right away
Hi. I very recently noticed some mold in the den under the master bathroom. The mold was up by the ceiling where it meets the wall - tthe tub is above that so I knew it wasn't good. The bathroom above...
20
20

Ceiling question
We just built an addition on our house that has two floors. The addition sits on a slab. We are in the process of finishing the first floor but cannot agree on what type of ceiling to put in: ceiling...
8
8

Buying used power tools - how to inspect battery pack
I need a few power tools and decided that a good used one beats new knock offs. I have been having pretty good luck so far using Craigslist. You can go there and examine the tool and test it etc......
8
8

OT: Walmart facing competition!
"German discount grocer Aldi plans to open at least 75 stores in the United States in the coming year, hoping to draw traditional Wal-Mart shoppers to even cheaper deals during the economic downturn,...
72
72

Insulate humidifier drain tube from furnace flue
I installed a humidifier recently on my furnace. All mechanicals are in a small closet, and the only way that the overflow tubing (3/8 ID vinyl tubing) can be routed to the drain is over the furnace...
6
6

What vehicle to buy for home improvement?
Hi, This is actually not of off topic. I've been wondering what car/truck I should buy if I become an avid home improver. Basically, my question is this: not being able to imagine myself owning or...
25
25

Black&Decker toast R oven won't get hot
I have one of those TRO962 toaster ovens in beige which wont start: The light goes on but it doesnt heat up on the oven setting. Also there is no model number sticker on it. I also have an old dirty...
9
9

Installing a manual transfer switch
I'm considering having a manual double-throw transfer switch installed on the main service to my house so that I can use a largish generator to power the whole shebang if I want. What's typically...
8
8

Wire Feed Welder (what kind of gas)?
I just noticed an ad in the paper for a local guy selling a Hobart 120 Wire feed welder. I called the guy and he said it belonged to a relative and he inherited it. He knows it works, but he has never...
8
8

pressure switch on gas furnace
A little help here.. I have a gas furnace about 13 yrs old, and it runs most of the time. the times it doesnt it seems that the pressure switch is not working. i would take the little hose off it for...
10
10

OT I wish my cell phone could....
I want a feature on my cell phone so that when I call it I can push some buttons and change it from vibrate only to the loudest ring possible. PIN protected, of course. I'll bet a bunch of you are...
9
9

Hot water heater decision; AO "prosumer" Vertex 100?
I will be doing some work in the laundry/heater room shortly, including installing a new natural gas hot water heater. At one time I had no problem doing my own plumbing "sweats", but, for now I think...
24
24

T1-11 generator enclosure project
Recently finished, attached to my workshop. Comments, questions? TIA Screwed together for maintenance accessibility and portability. Entirely treated lumber, screwed together for maintenance...
18
18

Moving switch and receptable boxes
Have switch and receptacle boxes in existing drywall and I would like to move some of them. Due to suspected wire runs it would be necessary to add wire length (Can't rerun entire length) and the...
25
25

Need a plumber at midnight for daytime rates?
INTRO: I come from a family that only called in ANY service person once, watched them like a hawk, and from then on, did it ourselves.... and yet, if I could get such help on "my" time, at regular...