OT Postage

On Tue, 10 Mar 2009 17:05:05 -0500, against all advice, something compelled metspitzer , to say:

http:\\\\

Steve Daniels

It's .42 now and going up to .44 I think in May

Reply to
RBM

For this reason I would go to the PO and get a bunch of the "Forever" stamps. You pay current rates, but they are good "forever" no matter what happens in the future. Would make a concern about current rates a non-issue.

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

It is 42 cents.

Lou

Reply to
LouB

Is there a site that shows the current price of a stamp? I send so few letters that I can't keep up. I just put a 39¢ stamp and two 2¢ stamps on a letter. I hope I don't have to go back to the mailbox tonight and change it.

Reply to
metspitzer

Kind of clumsy site but tells it all:

Frank

p and two 2=A2

Yes someone finally had a good idea. A few years ago, here in Canada also, we had a situation where every time one stocked up on a few stamps at the current rate, the rates were within a few months, increased.

So that meant running back to the PO and getting a bunch of one cent stamps to add postage! Must'a cost them more to print and stock those one-centers than the slight loss of revenue?

So now, yes, we have stamps that have no denomination on them. Good idea. And i asked one postal clerk if they could be used 'any time' even if rates go up (I guess they'll never go down?) and she said "Yes".

Along same lines the 'Change of address cards' previously provided by Canada Post were mailed free. This was appreciated when Canada Post itself made a wholesale change of our postal box numbers some years ago.

But getting another bunch of those cards recently just to have on hand and also redirect the occasional item that still arrives, although the family has been 'out of the nest' now for many years, found that now one has to put a postage stamp on them. Ah well! Still got some of the pre-paid ones on hand!

Also tend to agree a lot of these web sites tend to provide too much info; sometimes one eventually finds the information one is looking for by clicking on a link on the extreme edge of the third window opened. When one would have thought, for example, "How much" or 'Postal Rates' would be one of the first things required!

Reply to
stan

Thanks.

I was there before, but I was hit with information overload.

I tried again and found the price to be 41 I hope. :)

Reply to
metspitzer

Only buy "Forever" stamps. They can be used without additional postage when stamp rates rise. The USPostal service website has all the rates, just look.

Reply to
Phisherman

Will the PO check my FICO score?

Hold me at gun point and I may mail something out, needing a stamp.

Reply to
Oren

Chatting with our little cow-ville postmaster I asked how many pages could be put in an envelope for the cost of one stamp. He said that he didn't know so we did an experiment. From the outset you have to assume that none of the sheets of 8.5" x 11" paper is any heavier than that found in a copier machine. At the end of stacking pages on his scale we came up with 8 sheets of paper. That's what we have gone by for several years now and only flunked once, that I can recall. I love those little things that simplify life or are, at least, handy. One more example: The span from the outer edge of my little finger across my outstretched hand to the outer edge of my thumb is 7 7/8" - good enough to call it 8" and make a ballpark measurement.

Reply to
C & E

I hear you, but in a small business, it's pretty much unavoidable. If it goes much higher though, it'll be cheaper to hand deliver all the local stuff

Reply to
RBM

"C & E" wrote in news:49b6f51a$0$21573$ snipped-for-privacy@news.pa.net:

Just put it on your weed scale.

Reply to
Red Green

I heard May 11. You could buy some "forever" stamps before then.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

I've gotten the postage rate from that site, but it shouldn't be nearly that difficult to get the one little piece of information people need so much.

BTW, I never had any 39¢ stamps. I had too many 37¢ ones and used 2¢ stamps with them.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

Pony Express, would be an option.

I cannot recall the use of my last stamped envelope. Maybe the bride spent nearly a half dollar?

I'm trying to avoid spending. To damn much money.

Reply to
Oren

I use in excess of 100 stamps a month. What do I do? And it's not enough to get bulk rate.

Reply to
netnews

yea they put "see postal rates" bottom left of the first page (but they keep moving the damn thing)

this will save you about 4 clicks-

beware of the new envelope size thing that will bump you at least 50 cents if you mail flat 8.5 x 11 pages! fold them to fit a 6 x 9 envelope. also if the weight is 3.5 oz or higher, you get hit with the surcharge. we send mostly postcards and buy postcard rate stamps, then add 1 2 5 and

10 cent stamps to make the 42/59/76 rate for 1/2/3 oz envelopes.
Reply to
larry

-snip-

Talk about expensive! Pony express rates ran from $2 to $10 an ounce.

That page also says that in 1861 US postage was 10cents- which adjusted for inflation is about $2.30.

It isn't perfect but the USPS is one of the biggest bargains out there.

We're 10cents under most of the world including Canada & Europe-

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

If you cannot use free electronic "bill pay" then the answer is... Only buy "Forever" stamps! They can be used without additional postage when stamp rates rise!

Reply to
LouB