Subject Author Posted Replies

gas dryer drum not turning...
I have an OLD.. maybe 20 year old Kenmore dryer.. Tonight, the drum stopped turning. Everything else is working- controls, gas, etc. Does anyone know what the price range will be to get this thing...
8
8

Older Pocket Doors
A set of pocket doors in an older building in San Francisco. I think each door is about 3' and there are two of them. I've forgotten how to get access to the hardware. Do I remove the trim...
1
1

water heater problem
After using only a little water for a bath, the water became only luke warm. I checked the circuit breaker, it was OK. With the breaker off, I put an ohm meter on each element. One showed 11.9 ohms,...
7
7

moisture problem/ no place for cooking stove vent
I have a 1000 sq ft. house. When it gets very cold (here in western NY) I get a lot of condensation on the windows. MY humidity is around 45 most of the time give or take 5 degrees. i keep the house...
12
12

Attic Fan Louvres ?
Hello, Regarding the exhaust attic fans one would put in the end of an attic in a Colonial style house: I see many of them have louvres that open automatically when there is an air flow thru them. Why...
1
1

moving existing stove vent
We just bought an above range venting microwave...we had to buy a new cabinet for above the stove so it would fit. Our problem now is that we need to move the vent opening higher...how do we do this??...
4
4

DTV postponed, maybe
So the deadline for DTV was extended to day to June something, and Pres. Obama is expected to sign the bill, especially considering what he said a couple weeks ago on the subject. But what deadline is...
18
18

Using Havahart traps to relocate animals
All the traps specify which animals they catch. One page* shows three different sizes to cover all animals being sold as a package. But why can't larger traps also be used for smaller animals? *...
49
49

Chipped bathroom sink
I just noticed a chip in the porcelain of my bathroom sink. It is about l" long and 1/3" wide. I found part of the chipped material, but it doesn't fit exactly, so some bits must have been washed...
5
5

cutting in edges with a brush
I've seen this problem on my current home but none of the previous houses I have owned. Especially at the ceiling/wall joins. I think it's either: 1. Accumulated dirt/dust in the corners staining the...
22
22

Question about tankless water heating and boilers - help a chilly family!
Hi everyone, forgive my cluelessness. We are first time homeowners in CT and I grew up in Southern Cal. So now I have this house with an oil-burning boiler set at about 180 (from what I've read...
14
14

Geothermal heat pumps ?
Anybody know about geothermal heat pumps? I looked at a house with three of these things and I really dont know much about them.
21
21

How to get a doorknob apart
Picked up a lockset today, just a passage set, no locks. It's an older one (ca. 1940s) to match others in the house I'm working on. I want to get it apart to clean it up. So far, I've been...
31
31

Staining and concrete bid
I got a bid of $4 per sf to form, pour, finish, stamp, dye, and seal about 1,000 sf of patio. Concrete included. What does this go for where you live? The guy said a year ago here, it was going for...
9
9

HVAC
Does anyone Know what HVAC Stands for? Also what is a Thermal expansion valve for? http://www.myinfoviews.com