Subject Author Posted Replies

Staining and concrete bid
I got a bid of $4 per sf to form, pour, finish, stamp, dye, and seal about 1,000 sf of patio. Concrete included. What does this go for where you live? The guy said a year ago here, it was going for...
9
9

HVAC
Does anyone Know what HVAC Stands for? Also what is a Thermal expansion valve for? http://www.myinfoviews.com
8
8

Are recessed medicine cabinet depth same as "nominal depth"?
We all know 2x4s and 2x6s are not 4" and 6" deep. So if you see medicine cabinets that are supposed to be recessed into the wall and they advertise it as 4" deep cabinet or 6" deep cabinet, is it...
3
3

Leaking T
I recently repaired a T fitting in galvanized pipe that was leaking because someone had messed up the threads during installation. The T was going to be a real pain to take out so I brazed the inside...
8
8

voltage low on car battery
My regulated charger normally tapers to a fraction of an amp. On this battery, it will stay at 2 amps indefinitely. Most car batteries will settle at 12.6V when fully charged. This battery settles at...
58
58

Sink clips
I'm having a devil of a time finding some method to secure a stainless kitchen sink. The periphery contains a U-channel into which I surmise some sort of clip will fit, securing the sink to the...
28
28

The Groundhog is Dead / Winter Forever
Cute. But here's the true facts: "Staten Island's famous groundhog, Charles G. Hogg, inexplicably bit Mayor Bloomberg during his annual holiday ceremony on Monday, drawing blood from the billionaire."...
7
7

Porter-Cable quality?
Porter-Cable used to be a good brand. Now that B&D bought them out, are they any better than B&D? Their new low prices ($159 for a cordless drill, circular saw, reciprocating saw combo) makes me think...
7
7

Heat Register Deflectors
I have heat deflectors on some of my heat registers so that instead of the heat going up towards the ceiling, it will flow out towards the center of the room. Does anyone else use these, and do you...
4
4

Electrical receptacles
I am installing new electrical receptacles thoroughout the house, this go around will be all 15A 120V. I will need about 75 of them, they need to be Decora style. Which is better, Leviton or Cooper?...
12
12

Catching particulates in gas pipes
Hi, My plumber explained to me why I need to have a vertical nipple with a cap to catch particulates. I would like to know how many of these traps I should set up? Just one? A couple? Next to each...
12
12

Can soldering destroy pipe dope and teflon tapes?
I have a all brass shower valve that has four threaded ports. I have used a brass male adaptor with one threaded end and one socket end. I used pipe dope and teflon tape to thread into each port, then...
13
13

"Low Profile" water heater?
Most electric tank water heater are tall, I have a shelf in my garage I want to keep, the bottom of the shelf is 30" off the floor, and the floor slab is 4" higher than the rest of the garage floor...
9
9

Whistling water follow-up
Thanks guys, I took your advice and removed the aerator, flushed it and reyurnrd it. The whistling I complained about stopped. Nothing appeared to be in the aerator, so I'm thinking maybe it just...

Electrical power in non-120-volt places
The question from the person in Peru about wiring for 230 volts raises a question: in places that use 230/240 volts for household current (i.e., most of the world), how is that power brought into the...
13
13