Water Stains on Wallpaper Under Window Sill

Hello This has happened to a couple of my windows in a circa 1920's house. Where do I begin looking? I suspect there must be a fairly common reason. Thanks for your help! Frank

Reply to
frank1492

Hey, I've been thinking about removing myself from my current activity of extreme procrastination and investigate a similar problem with one of my winders. Hope somebody's got some good answers for us.

David

Reply to
Shy Picker

Do windows have condensation on them in winter.

Reply to
ransley

Sometimes..they are not thermal in any way....plain old window glass. But would that be enough to do it? Yes I see the condensate would run down on the *inside* of the window, but still a little hard to see how it would get down there as where the window meets the sill it is slanted down and outward.

Reply to
frank1492

"frank1492" wrote

Sounds like a caulking issue someplace but hard to tell. If there's a line where 2 pieces meet (normally wood but could be wood and vinyl or metal) and it seems to have no caulking, get some clear acrylic caulk (dries clear, looks white when it goes on). Bead that in there and then run the back of a spoon over it to even it up.

Oh, minor note. If you add your post to the bottom, its easier to track the conversation. Just snip out what isnt needed and add the new to the bottom.

Reply to
cshenk

Condensation and/or ice that forms on windows can melt and puddle on the sill or run down. If not insulated, the wall may get condensation if humid indoors.

Reply to
norminn

Sometimes when I drink a lot of beer I'm too lazy to walk to the bathroom so I just pee out the window. Sorry about the extra drops.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Check for cracked or missing putty around each pane, especially along the bottom of the panes. That could allow blowing rain to get inside the window.

KC

Reply to
KC

Do you have storm windows? Are the weep holes at the bottom of the storm window frame clear? I've seen entire sills fill up with water and run down inside because of clogged weep holes.

Reply to
Bonnett Decorating

Exactly! I've seen weep holes in the top, because the window was installed upside down.

Clear the outside weep hole -- at the bottom, and avoid inside drainage.

Reply to
Oren