water on window sill

Hello, I have a house built in the 40's early 50's and when it rains very hard water seeps past the old triple track storm windows and begins to collect on the window sill in between the storm and the interior window. This water does not drain out anywhere I have to soak it up with rags. I noticed that someone caulked around the piece of flashing that covers the sill. Are there any drain holes that might be covered up? I see drain slots on the outside of the storm window frame, but they seem to be higher up than the top edge of the sill. Is this just the way it is because of design of the old storm window? Thanks

Reply to
mo

Yes, you need drain holes, if it's not too late and your sill is already rotted out (even if it is, drain holes will help).

Go ahead and drill 2 or 3 small holes (1/16 to 1/8" should be fine) right at the height of the sill. If you can seen where the original holes were, you may just be able poke out the caulk at those locations with a nail.

Hope that helps. --Glenn Lyford

Reply to
glyford