How to attach interior window sill

Hello,

I would like to replace an interior window sill on a sash window. The replacement sill is made from pine and is 1.8m long by 30mm thick by 85mm wide. The wood is not very heavy.I have cut it to size. About 35mm will sit atop a row of bricks. What is the best method to attach the interior window sill to the window frame? If I were to screw it horizontally through the

85mm width of the timber, how long should the screws be? I am also considering installing 3 l brackets secured to the wall via masonry plugs. Is this overkill? (PS-previous sill was nailed to the exterior window sill-I think I will split the pine if I attempt to drive similar nails through the pine).

Thanks,

Graeme.

Reply to
Graeme

If you feel that the original method of attaching the sill was adequate, you can avoid splitting the pine by pre-drilling the holes and using screws. Counter sink the heads and fill with putty to hide the heads. Use trim screws (smaller heads) to makes them even less noticeable.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Why bother with nails or screws? Construction adhesive works just fine. Loctite, Liquid Nails, maybe other good one out there. A minor advantage would be sealing against air leaks,

Joe

Reply to
Joe