victorian window sill - laid across whole thickness of wall?

Googling produces lots of diagrams of sash windows and sills, but nothing that I could find that answers my question below. Please can someone advise me?

Normally, does the stone window sill in a typical 1880s victorian terraced house (with sash windows) extend right across the whole depth of the (8") wall?

I need to get a replacement sill from an architectural salvage yard but I don't want to expose the old one (to measure the depth) until I am ready to actually do the replacement so I'd like to estimate the depth I need.

and is it sill or cill?

many thanks,

Robert

Reply to
RobertL

Don't think so, no. I fitted one myself a few years ago and am pretty sure it didn't... the key thing of course is that the width 'buried' in the wall comfortably exceeds the width which is proud of the wall, as otherwise it will tip and fall out. The width of the proud bit will vary considerably depending on the design I would think.

And BTW those things are *incredibly* heavy! I still have an intermittent pain in my shoulder as a result. Or maybe that was the matching stone lintel...

David

Reply to
Lobster

The sills in our 1880s victorian terrace house didn't and the sills in our 1830s house didn't either. There's no reason for them to do so as they are there for the window to sit on, not for the interior wooden sill to sit on. Contrast this with the hideously weighty full depth lintels dovetailed into the surrounding masonry, which we were to scared to move.

David

Reply to
David

On a slightly later house (1910ish) mine did - almost. The plaster on it was a little thicker than the rest of the wall to compensate

Reply to
Kevin Poole

Do you mean the width of the window opening? if so yes as mine comes right in to the end of the bricwork.

Reply to
George

No, not the width, I meant the depth whether the inside edge of the sill is flush with the insied edge of the bricks. From what people say,m that is not normally the case.

RobertL

No, not the width, I meant the depth whether the inside edge of the sill is flush with the insied edge of the bricks. From what people say,m that is not normally the case.

Funny,depth means to me height and width the widness of a two brick wall.

Anyway I know what you mean and mine extend inside flush with the bricwork and protrudes about two inches on the outside from the brick facia.

Reply to
George

I will be trying to match the sills on the oethr windows so I can measure all the dimensions except the depth which is hidden of course.

yes, if its about 70cm x 10cm x 30cm thats 21 litres and the density of stone is about 2.2 kg/litre so thats about 46kg. So you'd need at least 2 people to lift it.

Robert

Reply to
RobertL

Having just removed one recently, no. Just one brick deep, as it were.

What width and where are you? I still have the one I removed (larger window installed)

Either. Especially if you're Scots.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

No, not the width, I meant the depth whether the inside edge of the sill is flush with the insied edge of the bricks. From what people say,m that is not normally the case.

The stone sill normally sits atop the outer skin of stonework. Maybe an overlap on the inside of an inch, but not much more. Timber framing is then fixed inside the stonework to take the window and create a cavity to allow the sash weights to run up and down at the sides of the window.

Timber sills are normally formed to overlap the outer stone sill and let rain drip away over the top of it.

Reply to
BigWallop

Interesting, We are reinstating a sash window which was removed and bricked up by the previous owner. they removed the cill but not the lintel. Your comment explains why.

Sadly they didn't keep the cill (or the window for that matter) and we are having to get replacements.

RobertL

In article , RobertL writes

Cill, I believe!

The old Ashlar cills I removed from the current (Victorian - not sure exactly how old though) renovation I am doing sat on the whole of the 9" wall. The replacement cills just sat on the outside course of bricks.

Cheers

Martin

Reply to
Martin Carroll