Subject Author Posted Replies

Cutting a 3" cast iron pipe
I need to cut a 3" cast iron vent pipe to tie to a new PVC vent. I am using a Milwaukee sawzall with a metal blade and it kept skidding and wouldn't start the cut at the right place. I then used a...
15
15

Storing Psint?
I've never been happy with the way paint stores over a period of years. Whenever I buy paint and store it, I'm always very meticulous about sealing the can, as well as wiping the lid and the...
22
22

Remove exterior wall studs from stuccoed wall?
Hi: I've got a couple of questions here but need to describe the situation a bit. I've got some pretty severe termite and dry rot problems around a tub area. The interior of the bathroom has...
20
20

Direct Vent vs Power Vent? Recommended for DIY-ers?
Shopping for tankless water heater & see e.g. Rheem offers both power vent and direct vent. Appears the DV models require a 5" stainless coaxial vent pipe . . . more expensive and more complicated....
26
26

"Rough" tile and baseboard
My wife and I both like the look of "rough" tile i.e. not ceramic, more natural looking tile. I am curious whether or not it is a good choice for us. We are installing a drop in tub. The tub will be...
6
6

Graphite in Locks? ...not good sometime
Recently had to have a key made for van door lock I had no key for. Locksmith lubed the lock and it wasn't graphite based. I asked why and he said because of the high humidity here in the...
18
18

OT Virus Protection
My subscription for Norton is up. I've had different Norton products for at least 12 years, have tried McAfee, which I didn't like. Norton appears to be so bloated, it slows my machine down....
82
82

Which end of roof tv antenna toward station
I bought a used rooftop tv antenna at a garage sale so there are no instructions. I know how to mount it and connect the coax, but I do not recall which end points toward the tv station transmitter. I...
39
39

WB13T10047
I have a kitchen gas stove which does not seem to spark properly. I have ordered and replaced the WB13T10047 spark module twice from 2 different suppliers I found online (D&D Appliance Parts and . The...
6
6

GE refrigerator board
Got a call today from a lady with a GSS201EMD WW GE refrigerator. From a net search, EMD might really be EMB. In any case, the temp in the box isn't dependable. She had someone out, who replaced...
4
4

duty cycle on water valve
Hi All, I have three water valves on the outside of my house. Two for sprinklers and one for my house. They are down about two feet at the bottom of a plastic pipe. The valve handle is a rectangle...
2
2

crawlspace rotted
----entire crawlspace rotted. Fundgi on joists, and face plate, beams, and guirder involment. Joists have been sistered in the past. New treated joints are fine. Old joists are almost completely...
7
7

50 tools everyone should own
By the editors of Popular Mechanics add: * Fein Multimaster or its clone * Pencil * ???? Your suggestions? http://www.popularmechanics.com/home_journal/tools/4314786.html
27
27

Replacing entry door only - no prehung door
My daughter has a steel entry door made by Masonite that she wants to replace with another style of steel Masonite door. One carpenter says she won't be happy with it unless she replaces...
9
9

entry door
I'm considering replacing my entry door. Looking at the Andersen brand at HD. Are the fiberglass doors, which are somewhat cheaper, any good? Or should I stay with a wood door? Can fiberglass be...
4
4