Subject Author Posted Replies

Lights for B/W joists
Hi, I have a finished basement, but I do not want to cover up the ceiling with drywall. Instead, I will paint the joists black. Are there any recessed-type lights that would look good? Something that...
5
5

Restaurant cooler repair
Last couple days, I've had the chance to work on a reach in cooler, at a restaurant. Under a counter. The old guy who runs the place says it needs freon every six months. The aluminum evaporator...
7
7

Resurfacing pine floors
Greetings, I have about 400 sq feet that I'd like to strip and re-poly. The high traffic areas are down to bare wood. First, I can rent both a vibrating square sander and an orbital buffer with...
17
17

Earthquakes can be fun
Interesting: sitting here in front of my computah a little while ago, felt an earthquake go by. I say "go by" because that's exactly what it felt like: as if something started out in the west and...
3
3

Replacing a section of drywall
I am removing a section of drywall and replacing it with some rockboard (durock, hardibacker, etc.) Can I just cut the existing drywall flush with the existing stud, then add a second "stud" by...
7
7

Cedar Deck Maintenance
My 5-year old cedar deck needs to be re-stained again. I sanded it down to bare wood a year ago, but already it's grayed over. I've been using Sikkens Cetol SRD (Cedar) stain. We live in...
2
2

Drill operated sewer snake
I once knew a plumber who used a drain auger cable that he attached to a heavy duty drill to clear main lines. He ran up to a 4 inch cutting bit on it, and used it for runs up to 75'-100'. The...
7
7

watter hammer / hum problem
about a month ago our pipes started humming when the water was turned off in the shower. Then it started doing it when one fo the toilets was flushed. Now its doing it when the cloths washer is on....
5
5

washer connection
I am trying to connect a washer. The washer has hot water hose and cold water hose and a drain. The wall has a hot water faucet, cold water faucet, drain, and an additional copper pipe 1/2 with no...
5
5

Lawn mowers under $300?
Looking for a new self-propelled mower for hopefully less than $300. I'll be mostly bagging on a flat lot less than 1/4 acre with lots of turns around shrubs and trees. While performance is...
19
19

Waterbed Frames Plans
Hi, Can you convert a bed frame into a waterbed frame? We have cherry wood furniture and are in the process of putting up a waterbed. If not, does anybody have plans for a waterbed frame or know where...
3
3

Castle Brook Shingles
I am considering having my roof shingled and the contractor wants to use Castle Brook shingles which can be purchased from Menards. Has anyone used them and how have they held up. I considered Owens...
5
5

out of square
i have a lean to (sp?) sort of roof attached to a neighbors house that is out of square by quite a bit. the lean to is constructed of 2x8 joyces on top of that 1x4 slats and then 1/2 inch osb board....
2
2

Portable PVC -netting plant cover
Yo, group - I have built a portable frame out of 1" PVC to be covered with netting to protect my strawberry bed. 4'x4'x2.' However, I can't seem to jam the joints tight enough that...
5
5

Navien Condensing Tankless Water Heater?
Does anybody in this group have experience with this tankless company called Navien? Supposed to be out of Irvine Ca...... looking at getting their Natural gas model CR-180... any pros and cons to...
1
1