Replacing 24" washer dryer replacement for condo closet how do you hook it up???

I'm replacing a washer and dryer in a 30" condo closet. The current one is 24" wide stacked one piece combo unit and sits in a metal tray. I'm trying to figure out how the heavy old unit would be lifted and removed from the closet as well as how the new unit would be connected because of the confined

30" width of the closet. Has anyone had experience with this??? Thanks for your help!!
Reply to
victor

they obviously built the house around the washer. i'm afraid you'll have to deconstruct the surrounding walls to get it out and the next one hooked up.

Reply to
charlie

*I do a lot of work in condos and have seen and heard about this problem many times from customers. It is a royal PIA to change out these machines. Finding new ones to fit in the existing space is difficult. Making your connections for water and dryer duct isn't easy. What I have found around here is that the original combo units were hard wired. Consequently a receptacle must be installed for the new combo unit or separate receptacles for each machine.

You should remove the door to the closet and try taking the dryer apart and off the top. That will make it easier to get the washing machine out of the tray. I have seen new separate units that are made to be stacked so that they can be installed one at a time.

Reply to
John Grabowski

Usually the one piece stacked units have a removable panel held by a couple of screws between the washer below and the dryer above. Remove that and you can reach through to unhook the electric and water. Easy to lift the whole unit out then.

Tom G.

Reply to
Tom G

I had to remove a combo unit to replace both the upper vent hose and one of the water hoses. Once I took the closet door off it turned out to be relatively easy to move the whole unit. It looked heavier that it actually was--I just basically walked it out far enough to do the repair work. MLD

Reply to
MLD