Follow-up, venting dryer through utility stack

Follow-up, venting dryer through utility stack

BTW, the guy who vented his dryer, now in a new location from the way the apartment was originally designed**, ran the white plastic, probably-soft-and-flexible-with-a-coil-spring-inside hose maybe 6 feet from the hole and down. If *I* had done that, I would have run it maybe 6 inches or maybe 2 feet from the hole, and painted the hose black so that they neighbors wouldn't notice it. He's always working on a project, I'm told, and I think he thinks he's the only one who looks in the utility stack/cabinet.

**These apartments were 2BR, kitchen, little laundry room***, dining area, and large living room. At first. Then later, two more BRs were added to every apartmeent I think, all 3 floors of 3 matching buildings, and it only cost her about $5000^^. Later still, 2 more BRs were added, which puts the BR I'm staying in as separate by two other BRs more or less used for storage now (although she's used them for grandkids and maybe kids), so she doesn't hear me and I don't hear her. She didn't say how much the second pair of rooms cost her. But in return, someone who owned something built two more floors on top**** of the building which were sold for a million or so each.

And the residents put up with this construction and lived here at the same time. There's a building a block down the street which is also being made taller, all that shows is bare concrete, rough from the forms, and scaffolding, and tarps, and she thinks the people are still living there. I'm going to go down and check some time.

****as oppposed to underneath the building or between floors 2 and 3.

^^Somewhere along the line there seems to have been a deal, that the current owners would get either the first two or the second two added rooms, plus a balcony and an elevator next to the balcony (at the other end of the living room from the existing stairwell) Since she lives on the first (really the second) floor, it's easier to use the stairs unless one has something big or heavy.

***My landlady has a large fridge/freezer on the left and a dryer stacked on a washer on the right.

So that's why the guy moved his laundry room, to make the current one a better pantry/kitchen add-on. She too plans to move the laundry room to the BR next to mine, but that has an outside wall, and the outside wall even has a capped hole in the wall for the dryer vent. Why the other guy didnt' use that, i don't know.

Reply to
Micky

Appliance repairman told wife that the white plastic coated drier vent was not code and if we had a fire, insurance might not pay. I replaced it with an all metal coil.

Reply to
Frank

Another sign that for all his projects, he doesn't know what he's doing. I'm not positive which appartment is his but today I found a thin rope from the balcony above down to the ground. Either a very very small child is making an escape or .....

Reply to
Micky

It used to be acceptable for many years so it could have been grandfathered in. It was changed at least a dozen years ago though, maybe more. Insurance company also covers stupidity so yes, they would pay and then probably drop you.

Ed Pawlowski

On Tue 18 Apr 2017 04:00:43a, Micky told us...

Sorry to say this, but I have seldom read such inane convoluted posts. The same could be said for your post on gasoline.

I wonder how many posters fall asleep reading them? I know I won't bother reading them gain.

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

Don't know why people insist on using flexible vent at all.Regular metal ducting causes less resistance to air flow, and with taped joints holds a lot less lint.

Reply to
clare

hmm...uhhh...snort...what? Oh man, you woke me up.

Reply to
DerbyDad03