Travails about gas

OT, maybe.

I'm reniling a tiny little car, a Kia Picanto. I haven't looked up how big the gas tank is but when I fill it, the debit card charge is about $100. And I'm told gas is about $6 a gallon, which would make the tank about 16 gallons, less if it's 6.45/gal for example.

Yesterday, the gas pump wanted more from me than the card, but I'm not sure what it wanted. I gave it my passport number but it didn't have room for all 8 or 9 digits. Sometimes the pump wants the license plate number, but we didn't get that far. The gas station attendant was sure it wanted my ID number, not the license plate, and the closest I have to an ID is the passport, and I know that sometimes it wants the passport number, or at least it settles for that. (who knows if it really verifies any of these numbers!)

So I didn't want to spend all my money so I bought $12 worth of gas. (I was sure I had enough gas anyhow. This was just extra.)

When I got in the car, the gas gauge, which had been at 1/4 was at

3/4s. I know there is space below zero, and probably space above full, and the gauges are not very linear anyhow, so do you think it's possible that $12. made the gauge go from 1/4 to 3/4 when it takes $100 to fill it?????? Most important question here.

Normally I wouldn't care too much about this, but when I got home t here were two emails from this gas station that I had bought $53.63 of gas twice within 3 minutes. So I called the bank's 800 number, which is easy to do with Skype for the PC (and I'm sure Skype for Android) and after talking about other stuff**, she said that one of the two charges had been reversed. I had checked 2 or 3 hours earlier.

I said, "I didn't get an email that it was reversed." She said, "We didn't reverse it. The merchant did." I said it doesn't matter. You, the Bank (Bank of America) sent me an email that I was charged and if it's reversed for any reason, you should send me an email, so that all my emails add up to the right number. Isn't this obvious. I was laughing and I think I got her laughing too. And I added, some people read their email on their phone but don't look at online bank sstatments on their phone.

But they only reversed one of the two, so I was thinking, maybe I got $53 when they thought it wasn't working. Doesn't seem likely, and I don't think the hose was in the tank yet, but I can't really remember. But if not, how did the gauge go all the way to 3/4s!?

There is also the issue that I let one on either side of the pump perhaps look over my shoulder when I put in the PIN, which pumps in the US often require you to do, iirc and I might not. Is it the zipcode sometimes and the pin other times, or never the PIN? At any rate, then I thought maybe he saw the PIN and charged me after I left, so I wanted to change the PIN using the webpage but couldnt' find it anywhere. So I wanted her to do it. She toold me to go to an ATM or branch. I said I'm not in the US. She said she could ail me a code for a new pin. I said sure. At the end of the confersation, it stilll hadn't come, so I asked her again. She said it was being postal mailed. This would actually work if I had left someoen at home, or if they let me send it to another address. This last thought zoomed in and out of my head in a second or two but I didnt' ask.

I have $12 more local paper money plus a whopping $13 change, plus $120 American money (which the gas station was willing to take iiuc but I didn't want to spend) and I have $3000 in a bank here, so I could wait until the letter came to a friend and have him email me the contents. I can still do that, if they'll let me. Should I?

Instead, I put the debit card on holda about 4 hours ago -- no other charges had been emailed me at that time -- and they say the PIN is no good without the card, which I have. Do you bellieve them/her?

I thought I'd leave the card blocked for a day or two, until I need money, (then maybe get a lot of money and block it again??) and by that time the thief will be tired of trying. Plus all he has is a pin and maybe a printed version of my card number, but does he even have that? They don't put the card number on the r eceipt or the exp. date or the 3numbers on the back and I presume they're not in the gaspump or at the counter at the gas station.

All of which means he didn't steal anything from me, except why was there a $57 charge and alternatively, how did the gas gauge go up so much if I only got $12 gas???????????

Reply to
Micky

Your credit card company can help you if there was fraud...which means that if your card was stolen you could get the purchase canceled. As I look down further I see your charge was $53 which is probably about right. Seems the credit card company was good enough to see you were charged twice and only held you liable for once.

When I purchase gas, the pump sometimes asks for my zip code so it was probably just doing that. Since you were in Canada it might have asked "postal code" .

Reply to
philo

Capacity is 35 liters or 9.2 gallons Gas should be in the range of $6.00 a gallon in your area but it fluctuates often.

I never use a debit card in Europe in case of problems even though I have the same protection. I just don't want my account emptied wile it gets resolved. I do use it to get cash from the ATM though, usually the best exchange rates.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski
< top post >

Gasoline is ~ $ 1.65 per litre US dollars in Denmark.

Kia Picanto holds 35 litres.

35 x 1.65 = $ 58. to fill from empty.

If you are paying $ 100. you must be agreeing to the special car wash with topless girls

You're a pip, Micky. But we love you anyway. John T.

Reply to
hubops

How many liters or gallons were on your reciept????? You DID get a reciept, right?????? As for the card and the pin, the pin is useless without the card with the chip in it.

I don't know how it works where you are, but if I want to pay at the pump a lot of places in the USA the pump asks for my ZIP code - and it won't accept my Canadian postal code - so I need to go in and pre-pay. Apparently this is to reduce fraud. (in place of the chip/pin) by requiring the user to know the ZIP code of the cardholder.

Is it possible the card pre-authorized for the local equivalent of $53.63, and since you didn't get any fuel they reversed it???

They will NOT mail it to a thirdparty address for security reasons.

You really get yourself into some pickles, don't you?????

Reply to
clare

Mikey's in Canada????? Didn't know that. I thought he was in Europe somewhere........ Gas isn't quite $6 a gallon here - about $5.08 canadian per Canadian gallon right now - closer to $3.05 US per yankee gallon.

Reply to
clare

Most places I've paid at the pump ask for a PIN when using a debit card, and ask for the ZIP code when using as a credit card. All of my cards can be used as either one.

Reply to
RonNNN

Asks for both on my credit card in Wisconsin and Michigan

Reply to
clare

When asked for a ZIP code I would think to myself "How the f would I know the ZIP? I was never in this town".

Reply to
Thomas

cash is so much more convenient

Reply to
makolber

The merchant (not the bank) reversed the charge, because, it was a duplicate. Mike tried to pay for the same purchase, twice.

He didn't use a credit card. He used a BoA debit card. And, requested a new PIN-effectively disabling his card for future purchases now. ROFL! Until, he gets the new PIN. Based on what he wrote, concerning suspicion of fraud, the CSR (agent) may have also taken the liberty of shutting the card he has down and issuing a new one.

If it's been longer than 24 hours since this was done, the internal (I won't give out it's name) won't be able to bring the card he has back online. The MAINFRAME won't allow it beyond a certain time frame, it cares not what access level you have. Even they can't override it. And, they can do many things the agent/supervisors, etc, cannot.

The PIN and new card are going to the postal address they have on file for him, seperately. As in, one letter won't contain both of them.

If he wants it any sooner, he needs to visit an actual branch and request a temporary card to use in the meantime. If his card has been shutdown, and he doesn't know it, BoA atms will keep his card, they will not return it to him once he sticks it in. So, he can goto a local branch and see if his card is still okay, or risk it with an ATM machine; which if it is still okay, can change the PIN for him, right there, on the spot; no waiting.

Those are the ONLY options he has now concerning that particular card. And, he did it all to himself. So funny.

It's part of fraud reduction, yes.

Reply to
Diesel