Is this venting dryer into utility closet a bad idea.

Is this venting dryer into utility closet a bad idea.
This problem is one that bothers my landlady a lot: All the apartments were built with space for a washer and a dryer, with the dryer next to an outside wall for venting the air.
But, I think it is her neighbor right next door (2 apts. per floor) who rearranged his apartment and decided to revent the dryer.
There is utility stack (right word?) that has floor-to-ceiling metal doors on each stairway landing. I didnt' stick my head in, because it's pretty crowded, but I guess they go from the bottom to the top of the building with no "floors" of their own. They carry the water drain, the power, probably the water, and maybe the gas and the phone.
They are 12 to 18" deep, probably 14 to 16" and the one she opened was about 30 or 36" wide, and there's another one just beside it. I think they have a cement (or concrete?) wall in back and maybe the sides, but if this could make a difference, I'm not sure and I can probably find out.
So this is where the n'bor vented his dryer. I think you can see the 4" hose in the closet, up near the ceiling of the landing, which would be half the distance from the floor to the ceiling of her apartment and his.
When she first said closet, I thought clothes, boxes, and storage. Not utilitiy closet. So I agreed that it was bad. But how bad is it to vent the dryer into this space? What reasons? There is some sort of condo association with rules, but of course, it if gets that far, one usually has to explain why something is really violating the rules.
On 3/31/2017 10:11 AM, Micky wrote:

Venting any form of heat into an enclosed space is asking for a serious infestation of mold which will lead to future health issues.
There is a reason why dryer ducts are vented outside.
On Friday, March 31, 2017 at 10:23:47 AM UTC-4, Meanie wrote:

It's not the heat, it's the moisture.
On Friday, March 31, 2017 at 10:42:31 AM UTC-4, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Wait a minute, she's made a penetration into a multifloor utility duct, in a high occupancy dwelling unit? Pretty sure that violates fire code, there is now a pathway for fire and smoke to migrate.
On Friday, March 31, 2017 at 12:55:17 PM UTC-4, TimR wrote:

+1
That's very likely an issue too. The obvious question is why anyone would re-route an existing dryer vent that went outside into any closed space.
On 03/31/2017 12:37 PM, trader_4 wrote:
[snip]

Flexible duct broke and its now too short?
On Fri, 31 Mar 2017 15:38:44 -0500, Sam E

I thought Mikey made it pretty plain - the guy re-arranged the "apartment" and moved the drier away from the outside wall.
On Friday, March 31, 2017 at 10:29:49 PM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Where does it say he moved the drier away from the outside wall?
On Fri, 31 Mar 2017 20:54:30 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03

In the original post he said "This problem is one that bothers my landlady a lot: All the apartments were built with space for a washer and a dryer, with the dryer next to an outside wall for venting the air.
But, I think it is her neighbor right next door (2 apts. per floor) who rearranged his apartment and decided to revent the dryer. "
Sounds pretty obvious the drier is no longer on the outside wall since he is now venting it to the INSIDE wall..Now unless the guy is a TOTAL idiot, if the drier was still at the outside wall he would not route the vent to the inside wall - particularly to the pipe chase close to the center of the shared interior wall.. I know Mikey doesn't always communicate clearly, so there is always the possibility - however slim, that the neighbour moved the drieer to the far end of the apartment on the outside wall and decided to run the plastic flex hose as decoration across the room to the interior wall as decoration or something. - mabee as a heat reclaiming measure because the plug of HIS heater falls out of the plug in HIS bedroom too - - - -.
On Saturday, April 1, 2017 at 1:11:48 AM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

I see. So you went from "Micky made it pretty clear" to "Micky doesn't always communicate clearly" and then made some assumptions about what the guy did with his drier.
Got it.
On Saturday, April 1, 2017 at 8:03:23 AM UTC-4, DerbyDad03 wrote:

+1

FWIW, he did it. She just complained that he did it. It's 5 floors with 2 apartments on each floor, plus FWIW there are two other matching buildings, side by side, each with its own entrances, own elevator. (This one is not in the mddle.)
I don't if that is high occupancy?
You're saying that fire could start in his dryer, and make smoke that would fill the utility "duct", and the smoke could enter appartments from there, or at least the stairwell. The aparment have pretty heavy metal "fire doors" at each entrance, but all of this would not be enough to keep it from being a violation of the fire code???
The dryer vent hose seemed to be white vinyl with a metal coil inside, you know what I mean. This guy is always doing one project or another.
She's on the first floor but that's really one floor up.
(It was a 3-story building but they added two-rooms and a balcony to every apartment plus they put 2 more floors on it, which they sold for a substantial price.)
On 3/31/2017 3:25 PM, Micky wrote:

That or similar could happen. Depends on how many openings, severity of the fire, etc.

That type of vent tubing is no longer code in the US. Must be a metalized type now.
In any case, the building owner should be made aware so he could handle it properly.

Sounds like these are "ownwd flats" - something like a "condo" here.
On Fri, 31 Mar 2017 22:28:39 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Yes. I don't know details, but there is some sort of board or membership group that should be able to enforce rules. So even though no action has been taken against him yet, the other guy is mad at my landlady for even raising this in the first place.
I don't know anything about the building code here except that it's kept pretty current.

Mikey, you STILL haven't said where "here" is - Portugal, Italy, Ireland, Morroco, or Mars - - -
On 4/1/2017 10:22 AM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

From an earlier post I believe he is in Sweden.

Thanks - I missed that one. I imagine the code is pretty strict there, unlike several other places in the world, and a few Krona doesn't make the inspector look the other way.
On Friday, March 31, 2017 at 3:25:42 PM UTC-4, Micky wrote:

It's very likely a code violation to vent a dryer into a confined space like that instead of outside, without regard to breaching a firewall. Breaching a firewall on a 10 unit building is probably just the icing on the cake. But obviously we can't say, because we don't even know where it's located. Around here, it would be instantly flagged by a code inspector, house inspector, etc. Everyone agrees it's a very bad idea, what more do you need?

Which is the cheapest, crappiest alternative.

Why did anyone remove a dryer vent that went properly to the outside to begin with?
On Fri, 31 Mar 2017 13:06:54 -0700 (PDT), trader_4

Because they moved the laundry room to a different part of the apartment.