LED lights for refrigerator

Are LED lamps suited for the vibration of a refrigerator lamp or should I use heavy duty vibration resistant appliance incandescent?

I am guessing Compact Fluorescent Light Bulbs are a bad choice.

Reply to
Seymore4Head

Assuming that you're talking about a retrofit, I'd guess that if you can find a LED in a suitable size, it would be fine. Our current refrigerator (LG) purchased about 4 - 5 years ago has LED vs. incandescent lighting.

Also, I see that one of the garage door opener companies, Chamberlain (?), is offering a screw in base LED replacement bulb for their equipment.

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

What happens when you try it? If your refrigerator is shaking enough to damage a light bulb, call service. The on-time of a refrigerator lamp is so small that you'll never pay back the cost of any replacement led lamp. Fluorescents don't like cold. If it ain't broke...

Reply to
mike

The CFL I tried in the fridge didn't work because the bulb had cold-start issues so am currently using LED purchased at Menards or Lowes Depot.

Reply to
James Watt

I did the same thing and Lowes has a good selection at a fair price.

Reply to
redzap78

I have a chamberlain opener and have used an LED lamp for several years now with no problems.

Reply to
Meanie

LED's don't gave filaments to break so vibrations aren't an issue.

I have a 100W LED in my old fashioned trouble light. I've dropped that thing so many times it's ridiculous. The LED just keeps humming along.

Take a look at the flexible strings of LED lights and you'll see what an LED looks like and why vibration doesn't bother them. I string a set of 12V LED's through the frame of my pop-up canopy when I go camping. You can be pretty rough with them. (Add a dimmer and you've got bright light for cooking, dim light for ambiance.)

Reply to
DerbyDad03
.
+1

agreed, use the LED bulb someplace where it gets a lot of use.

makolber

+1
Reply to
trader_4

Never having to change the refrigerator bulb again is priceless.

Reply to
Wally

Unless quality of light is the over riding factor. A daylight buld will certainly brighten things up in there. Bought a new fridge last year with LED lighting all over. Really nice when you open a door or drawer.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski
[snip]

"Quality of light" is my reason for using LED lights in the refrigerator. I don't care for the "dirty yellow" you get from incandescents.

I have CFLs elsewhere (it seems wasteful to replace those), where there isn't that much problem of broken glass in the food.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd