Subject Author Posted Replies

Rowenta steam iron stopped working
Rowenta steam iron, model DM870, not working at all. Light doesn't even turn on and I checked the power cord and it's fine. There's a circuit board under the handle cover and it looks to...
1
1

Attic Fan
About 25 years ago I installed a little t-stat controlled gable fan in my little MO bungalow attic. Maybe 12 years later, it was causing bad static on tv, radio in the room under the gable. So I...
12
12

OT Killing your wife
I was watching a BBC show called "Light Fantastic" Part of the show shows how Edison was trying to build a market for electricity. It showed many appliances such as the vacuum cleaner, kitchen mixer...
11
11

Any Electrician?
Anyone has contact of electrician who comes to the home to fix problem wif lighting? How much does he charge? Does the lighting shop at next door do house service? -- betty perez
9
9

generator transfer switch
Last year we bought a generator. We did not get a transfer switch but did talk about it in estimated costs ... so this year when I started asking about buying one and getting it installed, the price...
24
24

OT RANT: Woodchuck Plague Even Worse Than Usual
The east side property line is a paradise for woodchucks -- which are called groundhogs here -- because it is defined by a line of about 50 mulberry and black cherry trees. There's also a barbed...
23
23

Steel Beam Prices
Anyone have a rough idea on what a W5x19 17 feet (KSI 50) beam might cost per foot or total price. I'd be buying 2. Just received my plan in the mail and everyone's closed. I'm in northern...
11
11

Shower Touch-up
Background: My shower enclosure was installed new 29 years ago. It works fine. There are two soap dishes/holders/shelves molded into it, one on each corner. On the one that has received the most use...

Bath tub Liner vs. Reglazing
Hi, Our main bathroom tub suffered a damage by falling object creating chipped away glazing. Bathroom overall(vanity, toilet, floor, tile walls) being in very good shape, I am wondering if I can have...
7
7

Newbie question on single-handle kitchen faucet...
Mother-in-Law has a kitchen faucet (single handle type, push it up to turn the water on, to the right for cold, to the left for hot) which has increasingly reduced it's water flow. Now it's...
14
14

Sealing kickboard molding?
In a fully-insulated home in N. California SF Bay Area (very temperate climes) is it common to seal the back side as well as the front of kickboard molding? The owner is insisting that the back side...
18
18

Tankless toilet
It may not be convenient or a good idea, but you can use them in houses.
8
8

Moldy Wiring
I just fired an electrician. He worked her here all week and from the looks of his work, I thought he was doing a good job. Today he tells me that to put the ceiling fan in the living room he has to...
4
4

Used equipment fun
Ran across a web site auctioning surplus government equipment. Suppose you have a roofing business and want to make an impression. Pull up to your customer in a FIRE TRUCK that holds all your...
6
6

Septic tank question
I've got a standard concrete septic tank setup. I recently dug down about 10 - 12 inchs to uncover the two inspection / maintenance holes, whcih are about 20 inches in diameter. My question: is...
32
32