OT RANT: Woodchuck Plague Even Worse Than Usual

The east side property line is a paradise for woodchucks -- which are called groundhogs here -- because it is defined by a line of about 50 mulberry and black cherry trees. There's also a barbed wire fence.

The 'hogs are smart enough to excavate connecting burrows on either side of the fence. This eliminates the use of smoke bombs because you need access to clog-up each hole. That's hard to do with a barbed wire fence. Those battery-powered noisemaking stakes don't work either. Instead of being driven away by the noise, the 'hogs attack and destroy them. The best solution the past 32 years has been a 12 gauge shotgun, but 'hogs ain't easy to hunt. They are wary, and enjoy excellent eyesight, hearing, and olfaction.

Had a guest who suffered a sprained ankle by inadvertently stepping into a hole. On another occasion a tractor wheel got stuck and it was hell trying to free it. Last year a 'hog ignored the vacant burrows along the east side and started a new one under the house foundation. But the worst problem are the piles of dirt and rocks outside the burrows. You have two options on mowing day: rake the debris back into the hole, or carefully mow around the piles. The second option is better because if you continually rake the debris back into the hole, the 'hog gets pissed-off and starts a new hole. Don't need any new burrows.

On the bright side, I wounded one today, looked like a big alpha male. A wound is as good as an outright kill because the infection will finish him shortly. But the news spread fast. Not a half hour later, a smaller one scampered along the row apparently to claim the more desirable burrow where the big guy lived and which features both a white and black mulberry tree within a few feet of it.

Reply to
Jack

Get a bunch of Giant Destroyer bombs, dump in hole and cover them up, but not if your home or a neighbor is downwind. I used them in my basement and cleaned out everything living, even myself.

Reply to
ransley

The Sister-in-law tends to soak slices of cantaloupe with antifreeze and drop some in the groundhog holes when they get to be too much.

Reply to
Shy Picker

My answer was to light a 15 minute road flare, and stuff it into the hole. Back fill with dirt and rocks and such. Havn't seen another hole, yet. That was two years ago.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Most woodchuck hunters use small to midsize centerfire rifle, not a scatter gun. Rifle has much better range.

So, why can't you clog the hole on the other side of the fence? Something about this post sounds a bit off.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I beat a groundhog over the head several times with a garden shovel. It didn't phase him. Plus he would climb a 4-foot fence (groundhogs can climb fences???) until it was electrified.

Reply to
Phisherman

I remember seeing a story of a fellow modifying a parking lot vacuum cleaner truck with a large diameter hose to pull prairie dogs out of their burrows. I'm sure something like that would do the same for woodchucks.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

You have a woodchuck population only because you have all those mulberry and cherry trees, they play a major part of their food supply. Even if you do away with some woodchucks new ones will arrive so long as those trees are there. You cannot have those trees if you don't want those woodchucks. The only reasonable solution is to make that area a woodchuck sanctuary, pile in lots of big rocks and build lots brush piles under all those trees... the woodchucks will be happy, you won't need to mow there, and the woodchucks will not encroach to where there is no food supply. I have some woodchucks but they stay near the brush piles I made way out in my woods alongside some old rock walls... wood chucks like to burrow under large rocks. Of course I don't have 50 fruit trees there either. Your fruit trees are what's known as an attractive nuisance... if you harvested all that fruit most of the woodchucks would leave. Most mulberry trees produce fruit all summer, how can you in good conscience complain about woodchucks when it's you who are feeding them.

Reply to
brooklyn1

Could be worse.

Years ago, when I was visiting the nature center at the Audubon Society of Western Pennsylvania, I ran across their semi-tame groundhog named "Harriet."

The Executive Director said: "You seem interested. Never seen a ground hog before?"

"No," I said. "We don't have them in my part of Texas. We DO, however, have armadillos."

"Heh," the director replied, "pretty much the same thing, I think."

"Tell ya what I'll do," I offered, "I'll trade you an armadillo for a ground hog!"

"GOOD GOD NO!," exclaimed the director. "No way, no how!"

"Uh, why not?"

"Can you even IMAGINE what would happen if a pair of our granny ladies, walking our nature trails, encountered an ARMADILLO?"

Aside: The director of public safety for Tennessee put out a press release not long ago telling motorists that the Texas Nine-Banded Armadillo had made its way into their state. The director cautioned motorists in Tennessee, if they see one on the highway, not to honk at it.

Armadillos, it seems, when startled, will jump straight up in the air about four feet. The motorist will then encounter the equivalent of a 16-pound bowling ball right at windshield level.

Reply to
HeyBub

Well, these mulberries, black and white, ripen in June and attract all kinds of creatures, even the carnivorous fox, but by July the fruit on the ground doesn't seem to be in great demand. They certainly do not produce fruit all summer. Cherries are later and are ubiquituous like weeds, all over the property, not just the east property line.

I'm not inclined to pile rocks or harvest the fruit but will continue as in the past to rely on the shotgun as well as a suggestion from one of the posters here: soaking fruit in anti-freeze.

That seems to be an excellent strategy.

Reply to
Jack

Rifle shot at 277 yards:

"groundhog wackin"

Oren

That's how most groundhog problems are solved around here... A .223 with a scope , a lawn chair and patience...Pick them off at long range...An excuse to buy a new gun is ALWAYS a good thing...LOL...Good luck...

Reply to
benick

=EF=BF=BDThe

at's known

so how many birds and other animals will die a horrible painful death with your anti freeze fruit?

geez just live and let live, groundhogs are at most a nuisance.

Reply to
bob haller

so how many birds and other animals will die a horrible painful death with your anti freeze fruit?

geez just live and let live, groundhogs are at most a nuisance.

=========

Wait'll his antifreeze bait kills a neighbor's dog, he'll end up at the bottom of a pond strapped to a cement block, a meal for the snapping turtles, catfish, and carp. Shit happens.

Reply to
brooklyn1

More than a nuisance. Did you read original post? Personally, I'd shoot them with a .22, set out Hav-a-hart traps and shoot or drown what I caught. Poison is iffy but I'd put it deep in the holes to keep other animals away. Practically any animal will eat rat poison coated with peanut butter.

BTW, young groundhog tastes like chicken.

Reply to
Frank

You need to get yourself a badger.

Reply to
Pork Hop

You'd need a lot of suction, they're pretty heavy. You'd probably have better luck with a fishing rod and some bananas.

Reply to
Pork Hop

Oh, please. They do not. They taste like ugly pork chops.

Reply to
Pork Hop

Nearest neighbor is 1/2 mile away.

If he has a dog, it would have to be a small dog to get his ass into a groundhog burrow. And if he does get into the burrow and consume the fruit and die, well ..... shit happens.

Reply to
Jack

None.

The fruit goes into the hole.