Newbie question on single-handle kitchen faucet...

Mother-in-Law has a kitchen faucet (single handle type, push it up to turn the water on, to the right for cold, to the left for hot) which has increasingly reduced it's water flow. Now it's only a drip, practically. It has the type of dispenser that also acts as a sprayer if you pull it out of it's socket and push a button on the side. I have taken it apart to the extent that I had time, and found that the metalic hose which brings the water to the faucet-end is not delivering any more than a trickle when fully on, hot/cold or both. Took the ball valve apart and it looked okay, but something is obviously obstructing the water flow. Thinking, maybe a sand-trap, but can't figure out where this might be. Could it be in the body of the faucet "tower," on which the ball valve and handle sits? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Am about to suggest replacing it just because I can't seem to fix it...

Thanks,

Dave

Reply to
Dave

You can buy complete rebuild kits for most "modern" faucets.

Figure out what brand it is - and model if possible - and replace the innards.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Should have mentioned this first...

Are you sure you have water coming to the faucet? Since the problem appears to be with both the hot and the cold, I'll assume yes, but stranger things have happened.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Reply to
Don & Lucille

Well, there is *some* water coming out, even if it is just a dribble, so there must be some water coming to the faucet, and I figured the problem must be somewhere in the faucet itself. Guess I could undo the connections, and test the supply lines. Just can't imagine both supply lines being equally plugged, but...

Thanks for the input. Will check that out.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Thought of that first. :) It appears to be a lack of water to the sprayer/faucet end.

Thanks,

Dave

Reply to
Dave

What brand of faucet? I have a Moen and had a similar problem. Turned out to be the cartridge clogged when some carbon got into it from the filter in the line. Cleaning it helped but it was not back to normal. I flushed the line and replaced the cartridge (about $10) and it was as good a new.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I'll have to find out what brand. How do you flush the lines out? This really interests me, as I am wondering if I can somehow flush out the pipes throughout my house, to restore good waterflow to the bathroom and back faucet. Or are you saying you flushed the lines in the faucet assembly (where they attach to the household water lines?)

Many thanks,

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Are you now adding the fact that you have low water pressure to other areas of the house?

Perhaps this problem is bigger than just the faucet, although a rebuild kit is still a pretty cheap "test".

If there is sediment/corrosion buildup throughout the plumbing, you aren't going to be able to "flush it out".

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I believe he is talking about "his" house and this problem is at the MIL's. Isn't there a valve in the body that turns on the sprayer (where the hose connects) ? Maybe this is stuck?

Reply to
Bob Villa

==

I believe he is talking about "his" house and this problem is at the MIL's. Isn't there a valve in the body that turns on the sprayer (where the hose connects) ? Maybe this is stuck? ==

You got it, Bob. Two different houses, different problems. The non-functioning kitchen faucet is at my MIL's, and the low water presser in the bath/back of the house is at my house.

The sprayer/nozzle of the non-functioning kitchen faucet (at my MIL's) has a button on the side, but it is not stuck. I have removed that entire part (sprayer/nozzle) and there is only a trickle coming out hose that would go to it. Thus, I suspect something elsewhere in the faucet assembly. But where, I can't figure out.

Many thanks,

Dave

Reply to
Dave

I've seen O-rings and or Teflon/pipe dope clog up a faucet assembly when it gets into the line. Some kitchen faucets have a check valve and or vacuum breaker that could be clogged or installed backwards.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

If the faucet is old and depending on the condition, another option is to just replace the whole thing. For the house with low water pressure in multiple locations, what kind of pipe? In old homes, if it's galvanized, that pipe builds up increasing blockage over time. And if that is the cause, there is no easy way to flush it out. It's time to replace the piping with copper or PEX.

Reply to
trader4

This tread got me thinking about the el-cheap-o China faucet I put in the motor home. It has the name Danco. It has a pull out spout with a button that converts the aerated flow to spray. The spray seemed to be ok, but the aerated flow was weak with no air. I thought the thing was completely broke, however, today I again removed the aerator and took out the screens. It turns out there were 2 screens stuck together. The culprit was very fine "dust" plugging the screens and the other nylon parts. I had to use compressed air to remove the stuff. After re-installation, it worked perfectly. I was going to replace the spray head for $20 at Lowe's. Apparently, this well where I'm getting water has lots of particulate. Yesterday I replaced the whole house filter which was totally clogged. The fine stuff plugging my faucet must have been so fine, that it passed through the whole house filter.

Reply to
Art Todesco

My bet is it may not be the faucet but the supply leading to it. Someone may have mixed a galvanized pipe with copper and the two don't mix. I fixed a similar problem in my house where they had installed a 6" nipple from the copper roughed into the wall to the shut-off under the sink. The one for the hot had corroded to the point I was surprised any water was making to thru. Replaced both nipples with brass and all is flowing well now.

Reply to
Mark