single handle faucet repair

x-no-archive: yes

I have a Gerber single handle shower faucet, model 49-700, it leaked. It has two washers, one for the hot and one for the cold. I wanted to buy new washers, but I was told they weren't available and I had to buy the cartridge. So I bought the cartridge and used the old spindle. When I got it all back together, I could change the water from hot to cold, but I couldn't turn it off. The spindle goes through a big plastic piece, and through a spring with plastic washers on either end. I thought the spring wasn't compressing enough, so I tried stretching it, but that didn't help. Luckily there's two other spindles for a normal faucet, I turned those off. I don't want to have wasted money on the cartridge, why won't it turn off ?

Reply to
789