Subject Author Posted Replies

CostCo has nicely priced CFL floods including dimable
Made a trip to CostCo and found they have outside 120W equivalent and inside 65W equivalent CFL floodlights. The inside ones are "dimable". I thought the price was very good, $17 bucks for a 4 pack of...
2
2

Washing Machine Water Feed Sensors
Somewhere I saw a device that you can add to the water hoses on your washing machine such that if a hose breaks, the water shuts off. Does anyone know where to find such an animal?
4
4

Removing part of one truss, temporarily
Removing part of one truss, temporarily. Even if the roof were to sag when one section is out, can't it be lifted up again and then the truss repaired, or some other method used to put the sagging...
16
16

What is power factor, anyhow?
In a more-or-less recent thread up yonder (the one about LED lighting that evolved into a discussion/argument about CFLs vs incandescents and power factor, among other things), a technical term and...
59
59

more electrical installation questions
I just realized while rewiring my upstairs that some of the existing, original wiring apparently does not meet current NEC. An example: a switch box in the wall contains a toggle switch, a 14/3, and a...
14
14

HOA to evict 6-year old
"[FLORIDA] Kimberly, a 6-year-old in the custody of her grandparents, is facing eviction by local law enforcement because her grandparents live in a retirement community. The child has lived in the...
140
140

hot water in shower, not bath
We have an over-the-bath shower with its own Bosch Powerstar AE125 water heater. Recently it has stopped producing hot water through the bath tap, although there is still hot water if we switch it to...
2
2

New Pressure Tank in Hydronic System Issue
I just installed a new pressure tank in my hydronic system. It said it was pre-charged to 12 psi. When refilling the system I think I did a good job of eliminating the air as there is little noise...
11
11

Mounting plasma TV on the wall only to find that my studs aren't flush with the sheet rock!
Hello, I have a new plasma TV and a bought wall mounting hardware. I used the stud finder on the wall and found that the studs are 24 inches apart. I drilled several small holes into the sheet rock in...
19
19

Glazing with DAP 33`
First of all, please don't laugh at me - I admit to being n00bish :) This question is directed primarily to those with experience glazing windows with DAP 33. I have a wood frame, and a 8x10 piece of...
14
14

New sink install - leak issue
Hi all I recently installed a new bathroom vanity, sink and faucet. I am getting a small leak at the point where the large nut tightens the drain assembly onto the bottom of the sink, compressing the...
20
20

How many different Christmas bulbs are there
We got 32 boxes of Christmas "stuff". Don't ask. I got to get the lights going this year. I am amazed that there are so many different bases, and looking at the filaments, so many different filament...
3
3

Outdoor Christmas lights
For next Christmas, what kind of Christmas Light Strings should I buy for the outside of my home? On some of the strings I currently own: 1) all the bulbs light 2) none of the bulbs light 3) the bulbs...
22
22

Sound insulation with soft strips?
Hi, I have posted a sound insulation question before a received a lot of useful information. I would like to revisit it one more time. I'm trying to sound insulate a second floor bedroom from the...
9
9

Under Cabinet Fluorescent Light diffuser (cover)
After replacing my under cabinet flourescent tubes, I cracked the diffuser (plastic cover) when trying to snap it into place. I called Home Depot but they do not have a separate replacement part. I...
11
11