Subject Author Posted Replies

Can neutral service wire be insulated?
Two questions. Can the neutral wire coming from the meter pan to the main panel be insulated? I just bought enough 2/0 THHN to run the two mains and the neutral. What is the minimum size sch 40 pvc...
20
20

Power usage
I noticed that I used 237 kilowatts last month but only used 140 kilowatts a year ago last month. I don't do anything different from last year than this year.
18
18

Furnace return plenum "bangs" when blower motor starts/stops
The sheet metal return plenum on one of our 2 otherwise identical gas furnaces gives out a loud "bang" as the duct contracts inwards when the blower starts and again when the duct returns to its...
25
25

Any success with ridding a walkway of pesky moles (what's the secret?)
I have moles that contantly pop up the bricks under a walkway (bricks in sand). I don't want to kill the moles. I just want them to go somewhere else. On Monday, I poured a gallon of ammonia down one...
9
9

Who do you trust on submersible vs. pedestal? :-)
The first url says submersible last longer, and the second url says the pedestal pumps last longer!!! Submersible - [].... They are more expensive than the pedestal pumps but are quieter and tend to...
7
7

Drilling through rocks
I have never drilled through rocks before and I am wondering how different it will be compared to drilling through solid concrete. I suspect it may be harder? I have an exterior wall that is a 12"...
12
12

Simple Gyprock question
Hello... I am gyprocking a very small bedroom (9ft X13 Ft floor space X 8 ft high walls) What is the typical thickness for the wall and what is typical thickness for the ceiling?... Thanks... Jim
16
16

Wiring 2 Baseboard Heaters to One Thermostat
I have 2 baseboard heaters currently connected to a rotary thermostat. I am replacing the thermostat with a programmable digital thermostat which can be wired either as single pole (L1 only) or double...
11
11

Gas Smell - Propane Logs
We have propane fireplace logs. They have been working well for several years. They still appear to be working well. However, in the last few days, my wife and I have noticed that there is a propane...
22
22

Is RTF grass seed a marketing gimmick or does it actuall look like Fescue & work well
Anyone with real-life experience with RTF (Rhizome Tall Fescue) grass seed? Is RTF grass seed a marketing gimmick or does it actually work (& look good on a front and back hillside lawn with lots of...
5
5

Moving front door back 1/4"
Hi there. I bought a house, and we noticed we had problems with draftiness from the front door. I bought new seals, and as I was installing them I saw the root cause of the problem: The front door...
16
16

Frost in Attic
Hi, I have what may or may not be an issue with frost in my attic. First a little background.... I have a bungalo built in the 50's that has a gable style roof. The home has plasterboard walls with...
18
18

PVC question
I'm replacing a broken flow-switch on a hot tub, and since I've never used PVC cement before, I want to make sure I don't screw this up. The flow-switch has a fitting (hope that's the right word) on...
7
7

weird painting occurrance
Was spot painting another area of my house yesterday... I'd taken down a big mirror (permanently mounted) over my fireplace and cleaned up the marks around it, patched the plaster around the boxes for...
7
7

Steam hard surface floor cleaners
Has anyone tried one of those steam cleaners? Did you like it or hate it?
4
4