Subject Author Posted Replies

metric carpenter's tape
Twenty years ago I bought a Craftsman tape marked in mm on both edges. It was so much easier and more reliable than fractions for reading and remembering measurements that I bought a spare....
30
30

Items a customer should put in a drywall contract
I am going to be getting estimates and then signing a contract to have 3 rooms (game room, bedroom, storage room) in my basement, drywalled, taped, and textured. I would like to get some suggestions...
6
6

Installing new toilet- just removed old one- question about removing old wax ring.
I have already removed the old toilet and have stuffed a rag in the sewer opening. This is a toilet that has been in the house for the past 15 years... I have used a putty knife to remove the old wax...
7
7

Are these guys any good?
Need to have some landscaping done, particularly hardscape work and some concrete projects. Down at the HD & Lowes, there's a lot of Mexicans in the mornings. I see pickup trucks pull in there, and...
34
34

Install tube in tubeless wheelbarrow tire?
The Chengshin 8" tubeless tire on my 20+-yr-old wheelbarrow hasn't reliably held air in a long, long time. They got a 8" inner tube with "Slime" at Homey-Flogging-Depot. Is it a good bet to install in...
21
21

Shop Vac parts
I have a Shop Vac wet/dry vac. The shutoff switch that shuts off the motor when the water level goes high has broken. I called shopvac and they will not sell me the switch, they will sell a new head...
8
8

cutting plastic
I want to get opinions about how to cut plastic the easiest best way vs. what I already did. I had 2 kitchen fluorescent lights that had custom sized plastic covers or lenses over them. Lets say for...
27
27

lightweight chainsaw for yard work & Mother's Day
My wife has asked for a small chainsaw for Mother's Day (my kinda woman). She doesn't want a heavy gas-powered saw, just somthing convenient for cutting branches and small tree limbs in the yard. What...
19
19

drywall estimate
I'm trying to get a ballpark idea if the estimates I'm about to receive are "decent". I need sheetrock installed then taped and textured. Orange peel on the walls, knockdown on the ceiling. Sheetrock...
13
13

Spring attached to gate
My neighbour had this spring put on the back garden gate by someone, to get it to be self-closing. is not enough compression on it to keep it completely closed and to stop it banging when the wind...
9
9

dead B+S mower engine
(does this count as "home", or is there a better place for it?) I think today's the last chance for getting our elderly MTD lawn tractor running before I throw in the towel and go buy a (long-overdue)...
61
61

Electr. 14/3 wire under vinyl siding
I am installing an outide lite on a vinyl siding mounting block. Electricity is available 5 feet away via a duplex outside GFI vinyl siding mounted outlet. Question: Can I run 14/3 under the vinyl...
13
13

stamped concrete drive
A home we're considering has a stamped concrete drive, sidewalk and atrium. The concrete was either colored when poured or given an acid dye afterward, then sealed with a clear topping. The concrete...
4
4

Splatter
Most men don't realize how they piss all over the floor, all over the toilet and all over the wall with their splatter unless they live alone and clean their own bathrooms. Besides sitting down, is...
37
37

Prank
My earlier post about the leaking faucet reminded me of a prank my kids pulled on my wife many, many years back. Perhaps it'll inspire you to have some fun as well. Back then, our kitchen sink had a...
11
11