Subject Author Posted Replies

Plans for detached screen house?
I'm considering a detached screen house as part of our landscaping projects for next year. This is in central MN; our lot is about 2.5 acres and 1/2 of that is wetland so we have lots of mosquitoes....
13
13

Old power tools increase in value
I think old power tools will increase in value as time passes. It's not the antique value, but rather the fact that they no longer make affordable decent power tools. For example, have you tried to...
12
12

blowing out a water line
i just installed a 1/2 inch pvc water line for a new hose outlet and would like to blow the water out for the winter months...what kind of connection should i use to hook up my air compressor to the...
10
10

Bathtub Material
Cast iron, fiberglass or plastic (acrylic) ... any experiences ... good or bad would be appreciated. Thanks.
2
2

3/4" water main meter valves
the water company is coming out to replace their old meter. I think I will replace the valves that leak when turned off at the same time. I have two, one coming from the water "main" and one right...
23
23

Painting-Cutting in a ceiling
Has anyone used a pad type paint edger to cut in a ceiling ? Does it work or just put paint on the ceiling while edging the walls ?
10
10

Soldering directly to button battery
I'm replacing a small button battery (CR 2032) with two AAA batteries, I'm intending to leave the old discharged button battery in its place and solder the leads from the AAA batteries directly on to...
55
55

How to attach a stud wall to concrete blocks
I have a concrete block wall and on the inside of it I want to layer in a 2x4 wood studded wall. What is the best way to attach the bottom plate and studs to the block wall? Thanks in advance, MC
5
5

Large deck mildew/mold/residue removal ideas?
I have a large deck (18 x 36') that is constructed of cedar and finished with Cabot semi-solid stain. It was washed and stained this past May. We also have a few very large oak trees that drop their...
4
4

What I learned today
Unless you=92re going to be working with VERY soft materials do not buy a pneumatic die grinder.
7
7

Block wall stuccoing
I want to do some very simple stucco over block. I will pour a footer with rebar, let it dry, first course it, then build the blocks in an asymmetrical Southwest pattern with openings, and rolling...
3
3

Radiant heating (boiler) vs. Forced air
I currently have radiant heating in our home and have been quoting prices for a separate AC unit (space pack) installed. At the recent received quotes of $6000 to $8000, it got me thinking about the...
16
16

gas boiler -- supply and return
I own a small building with 3 apartments and 3 separate gas boiler hot water radiator heat systems. Each boiler has a circulator pump that is attached to a pipe that goes into the side of the boiler...
4
4

high efficiency boiler
I'm replacing an old boiler with a new high efficiency condensing boiler. The old system had 1 circulator pump, the new boiler installation manual shows 2 circulator pumps. One for the boiler loop and...
3
3

questions about concrete
I am planning to pour concrete between two structures. the back and one side is basement wall (cement blocks) on other side is concrete slab with aluminum storage shed. the space is 11' x 3.5' and I...
15
15