Halogen mini can lights

?Our new home has many of the Halogen mini floods in the ceiling. These are the type about 2-1/2" across, bulb is shaped with a reflector and with 2 pins on the back of the bulb. To replace the bulb, you pull the inner holder downward and disengage 3 friction clips. On the back of the bulb is a ceramic disk that connects the bulb to the power.

In one fixture, the bulb tests good, but there is no power to the ceramic disk. I have checked the wire connecting the fixture to the bulb by probing the insulation with a voltmeter and find that it is dead. Since the light worked previously, and since other bulbs on the same switch work, I suspect that the connection between the light leg and the can is bad- such as a poorly connected wire nut.

My question for the group is HOW DO YOU GET TO THE WIRING CONNECTION? There is no attic space above the can and all I can think of is strong-arming the can out of the ceiling, which would damage the drywall.

Suggestions?

Mark "You have been sat too long here for any good you have been doing lately. Depart, I say, and let us be done with you. In the name of God, go!" --Oliver Cromwell dissolving Parliament April, 1653

Reply to
Tom

The most likely problem is a bad socket. From the heat of the MR16 bulb the female sockets get a carbon buildup. If you need to get to the transformer splice box, you have to remove the can, which will be held into the frame with clips or screws depending upon make and model. If the fixture is a retrofit, the entire thing will come down through the ceiling. If there is a rough in frame in the ceiling, you will have to work through a really small, sharp hole to open the splice box and check connections.

Reply to
RBM

To remove the can you will most likely find three small hex head screws inside the can near the rim. Have you checked the thermistor to see if it=92s getting power? If it is then the most likely problem is the 12 volt transformer. I could be wrong but as far as I know they no longer make these recessed lights or the parts for them. You may need to read off the specs on the parts and find ones that match. In other words, you probably need new recessed lighting which may not match the rest of the recessed lighting so you may need to replace all of them; the new ones will probably need to be fluorescent until they stop making those in a few years and you will have to replace those with LEDs.

Reply to
Molly Brown

Sorry for the misstatement. I meant to say if the thermistor isn=92t getting power then the problem is with the transformer.

Reply to
Molly Brown