Subject Author Posted Replies

12 V. Inverter dont work in very cold weather
Last year I connected several strings of LED Christmas lights to a 12V inverter in my car for Christmas. I quickly learned that the police do not appreciate having Christmas lights turned on inside a...
18
18

Impact driver vs. hammer drill
Hi, What's the difference in technology between these two tools? Many thanks in advance, Sam
10
10

TG Day HF 25% off coupon
Little late but maybe someone more west can use it. Coupon Display Coupon Display

polyurethane doesn't waterproof wood?
I have aluminum frame windows that frost up in the winter, thaw and discolor the wood window sill. Thinking that polyurethane would waterproof the sill, I sanded out the water stain, restained the...
11
11

Welding with sunlight-
Possible, anyway- A BBC video showing how hot a 2 square meter lens focusing sunlight can get. [14,442F] http://blog.makezine.com/archive/2010/11/2_square_meters_of_sunlight_focused.html

Hot water
I just thought that if there is a long distance from your hot water heater or boiler coil to the kitchen maybe a smaller diameter pipe would get the hot water there faster. Maybe 1/4" or 3/16" tubing...
9
9

German man builds wall, traps himself in cellar
German DIY enthusiast accidentally walled himself into his own basement and only managed to escape by drilling his way through to his neighbours, police said Thursday. The 64-year-old pensioner in the...
16
16

Darn thieves
Why not just round the heads of the bolts over with a hammer. Ball peen hammers do wonders. But then again they will just bend them & snap them off & some one will have to figure out how to get the...
1
1

Experiences with, opinions on "Shark Bite" pipe fittings?
I needed to replace an outside spigot, was hoping for find one that used a compression fitting, the guy at Home Depot was trying to sell me on these Shark Bite pipe fittings. Seeing that the crucial...
69
69

New sheet vinyl has indentations, defective?
I just bought 10 feet of new Congolium Ultima sheet vinyl off a 12 foot roll. After I laid it out in my garage so I could cut it up using my template I noticed slight indentations in it. The...
4
4

How to store laminate flooring?
I got/installed a bunch of obsolete laminate flooring off craigslist. Now, I feel compelled to save some "just in case". Of course, I've got three different kinds. No chance that I'd find any...
13
13

Well-made, dependable casements -- do they exist?
Like the title says: Well-made, long-lasting casement windows that seal properly for a few decades -- is there (are there) such a thing? I have an application that would be perfect for casements, and...
5
5

Attaching drop ear 90 to concrete block wall
I have to attach some brass fittings to concrete block walls. Those are "drop ear 90" at the end of copper water supply lines that look like this:
14
14

OT: More on High Fructose Corn Syrup
Just in time for Thanksgiving yet another story on the HFCS scam: Here's the URL for the Science Daily article: paragraph really hits home: "With the introduction of HFCS in the 1970s, an increased...
47
47

another cast iron radiator question
I've got a seperate loop of my wood boiler system that goes to a little used upstairs bedroom. It has a shut off where it branches off the main line to the house. It has always worked fine, and I just...
18
18