Yourr google map report has been published

I live on a C-shaped street that's 3 to 6 blocks long depending on how you count.

Google maps had the right house numbers, but they started at the wrong end of the street and went CCW instead of CW.

This only causes slight problems but I can imagine someday a slight problem could be a big one.

I wrote them, described it in even more detail, and 7 days later got an email saying my update report was published.

And indeed it's correct now.

I would think they had to send someone in person to verify it and it only took a week, start to finish.

Reply to
micky

Not if you send them a photo, I always do.

I've had some fixed in hours.

Reply to
Joshua Snow

... maybe they used google maps streetview ? John T.

Reply to
hubops

Tried for months just to get my street on the map. No luck.

Google maps has some terrible routing if you use it on a trip. My granddaughter came from CT to FL last week, a route I know very well and many alternates. Google took her some stupid city streets in NJ where she never should have been. It also took her off the highway, make a U turn and back on the same highway exit.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

If you go into settings you'll find an option that says to avoid highways. If that's on, that's exactly what Google Maps will do.

Happened to me, it took me some cool places.

Reply to
Dan Espen

Checked that. No, not set. Most of the trip was the normal highway but getting through NJ was nuts. Took her through Trenton instead of straight down the NJ Tpk.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I've been using Google Maps extensively for navigation since forever and I don't remember ever having a problem with it. The only time it has recommended that I deviate from a route is when there's a traffic delay ahead, and even then it asks me first.

What you described above is common for me, though, when I use the nav system in my Kia, and the system in my Toyota before that.

Bottom line, though, we humans always need to stay aware or we risk being the next newspaper story about someone who took a turn because their GPS said so, and ended up driving into a river or off of a cliff.

Reply to
Jim Joyce

So what did you provide them with evidence wise ? Their own street view works very well indeed and when that isnt available, a photo of the street sign works well too.

Only ever seen that the once with a major rebuild of an intersection well out of towns.

Reply to
Joshua Snow

And would you have sent a photo to show the houses were numbered in the opposite order?

Wow. Trenton is quite a bit out of the way.

Once I went north from Baltimore at night and when I saw the road from Delaware to Philly, I thought, That sounds good. Everything was fine until I got near Trenton and then, in those days the interstate didn't go alll he way to the NJ Tpk. But it did have signs that were easy to follow

Reply to
micky

I lived in Philly for my first 36 years and never found a good reason to go to Trenton. Camden at least had a strip club.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

They've had the wrong 911 addressing for the County for almost 10 years now. I've written umpteen times and it's not right yet.

It's got some fixes now, but not completely yet. That's been fairly recent to even get that much.

--

Reply to
dpb

Depends on whether the street view shows that. I wouldn't bother if the street view shows that.

Reply to
Rod Speed

My guess is google googled up the county property appraiser web site and looked. You would only have to look at a couple houses to see your error.

Reply to
gfretwell

I was out looking for a store with my buddy yesterday and I had the address, there just were no numbers on most of the buildings. These are a bunch of little strip mall type buildings on a service road. We were at the Harbor Fright. Google identified the place and gave us turn by turn directions that we followed, 4 blocks south, loop around on US 41, go north, turn back on the service road until it said we were at our destination ... the Harbor Fright. In the mean time, I had spotted the place while we were on the wild goose chase and told him where to go ... 2 buildings (200 yards) away. Google had us driving by it twice. I guess that was helpful if you were looking out the window and not at the phone.

Reply to
gfretwell

Good point. I have that map myself, which I dl'd. And I guess I could have sent it to them for that matter. I havent' looked at it for a couple years, but I could have found it on the harddrive. It did not occur to me.

Reply to
micky

I am not sure what your government web sites are like up in B'more but I know the ones in PG county suck compared to what I can get from my PA. (leepa.org) You still should be able to see the house numbers on a map tho.

Reply to
gfretwell

They're pretty good. When you go to the county clerk's office, you can no longer look in the "stacks" or even get them to bring you actual records. They just have terminals, with photographs, so there's no reason to actually go there anymore compared to staying home. (I guess they were preparing for the virus.)

It has the street numbers and it's really the only government map that does, afaict, so it's probably the one google found if that's what they did.

It might have taken them less effort to find than it would have taken me. And it was their mistake it the first place, so there!

Reply to
micky

Yes, that would have worked. Most of the houses have street numbers each

8 inches high, and the front of 90% of the houses can be seen from the street. (Not mine) Maybe that is what they did. So two ways to not send someone in person.
Reply to
micky

On Sat, 13 Jun 2020 10:43:07 -0500, dpb posted for all of us to digest...

That's still better than "Go up Main street until you get to the Moyer house and turn right and go a half mile to the Allebach barn and make a left and go down a long driveway and go right at the wye, that will be Ike's place"

Now with GIS; everywhere is mapped and the dispatcher can see your location and progress. They can look at aerial views and tell you which driveway to go to. They try to match dispatchers with areas they are familiar with, if they can.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

Well, no, not really, since they've got address off by about 12 miles wrong direction.

Everything is laid out on section lines w/ NS lettered and EW numbered

-- excepting the County went through (at least three that I remember) gyrations before finally settling on the present. The first had Rd 0 (zero, no "Oh") inside the County and went 1, 2, 3, ... N and 1, 2, 3, ... S from there. Besides having the interesection of O and 0 and I and both 1S and 1N for just minor confusion.

In the end, the current system starts at south and west sides of County w/ Rd 1 (which in one incarnation was also "0") and "A" and goes N and E. They skipped "I" and "O" which confuses things from a purely geometric pattern standpoint of letter--number position but is probably still better than having the like symbols for confusion.

It boggles my mind since the 911 addresses are based on mileage that most UPS drivers can't figure out that 12000 Rd 3, say is 9 miles E of

3000 Rd 3 and similar for letters going NS. It adds some confusion because the numbers are relative to actual mileages from the county borders irrespective of whether the road number skips a beat or not...but, for anybody who has any idea of what a section is, it's pretty much immaterial as counting section lines is a habit for any farmer.

However, as small as the town is, the city nature of the townies and the come to rely on computer aids like GPS seems to totally baffle them as far as actually navigating at all on one's own.

Driver here the other day w/ a delivery for the JD dealership -- they're on same numbered road, but 3 miles W of town and we're 3 miles E -- the number on the package was correct -- and he couldn't figure out on his own he was on the wrong side of town.

--

Reply to
dpb