Why doesn't felt dry?

I had something with a felt pad glued to it I had to wash and the felt was still wet 24hrs later. Why? Seems wierd.

- = - Vasos Panagiotopoulos, Columbia'81+, Reagan, Mozart, Pindus blog: panix.com/~vjp2/ruminatn.htm - = - web: panix.com/~vjp2/vasos.htm facebook.com/vasjpan2 - linkedin.com/in/vasjpan02 - biostrategist.com ---{Nothing herein constitutes advice. Everything fully disclaimed.}---

Reply to
vjp2.at

Dense stuff, felt. And if, as sounds like, is attached to a backing piece it's all got to diffuse to the one exposed surface and evaporate from there; not both sides.

Plus, if the backing surface is porous, it may have absorbed a significant amount besides.

And, then, drying conditions may not be optimal if RH is high.

All kinds of reasons it could be slow...

Reply to
dpb

Weird, It felt dry to me :)

Reply to
philo

A car's dashboard?

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

It rained on the lake near me and a 24 hours later it was still wet.

But it was a weird lake.

Reply to
micky

I don't think you missed anything. He was probably just suggesting that if the item is small enough it could be placed on the car's dashboard where the sun shining through the windscreen would warm it up and help to dry it quicker.

Reply to
Jim Joyce

Wool fibers have moisture regain approaching 40% at 100 percent humidity. Compare to cotton at about 10% and nylon at 5%.

This high affinity for water just makes it harder to dry.

If the pad is thick and surface it is glued to is not permeable it takes more effort to dry. If area remains humid it will still retain moisture.

My wife put an oven glove made out of Nomex to dry on the deck the other day and it was still damp that afternoon when I went to use it and Nomex only has a moisture regain of 3.5%.

Reply to
Frank

Yes, that's it.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman
*+-Wool fibers have moisture regain approaching 40% at 100 percent *+-humidity. Compare to cotton at about 10% and nylon at 5%.

Thanks, that's very useful.

It shudda clicked as wool jackets do tend to smell musty even after a drizzle.