Wow, expensive lighting!

Who pays for this?! $2,600 for a light, and you have to wait 2 months to get it!

Anyone good at building stuff like this? Go undercut them!
Reply to
Commander Kinsey
The very wealthy pay for it because it's modern art and they need to uphold their snobby image.
Reply to
Hawk
I see it is made from solid brass tube that is magnetically held in place
Darned good tricks those :-)
Avpx
Reply to
The Nomad
But you can't have that image for 2 months apparently.
And I'm sure somebody else has made something that plain and simple for a lot less. If I wanted to be snobby, I'd get a fancy looking light, not a plain geometric shape made out of simple tubes.
Reply to
Commander Kinsey
Could be the modern equivelent of the folk that used to buy illuminated flooring and glitter balls for they homes to make them look like discos. Brian
Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa)
Some time ago, when lasers seemed to be everywhere, you used to be able to get a kind of 3d column light which as you walked around it the hologram of a young lady disrobed. It was all in a peculiar greeny blue colour. I guess it goes under the name of expensive novelty, and sex sells as we all know. Probably seen as very tacky today though. I often wondered how it was done. Brian
Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa)
I tried to search for that, but search engines don't seem to work right. If I search using three key words, why do I get results with only two of those words? One of the words I used was obviously "hologram", but I just got links to news articles of people stripping naked at an airport.
I did find this cool video (sorry Brian) showing holograms live on stage of people who aren't alive any more, or lions that seem real:

Reply to
Commander Kinsey
I didn't notice "brass" and "magnet" there! Still, a magnet will be strong enough to hold the light in place. But bump it with something and it will fall.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey
This is why we should not call things like speed limits a law, they're rules. Laws cannot be broken, like gravity. But rules shouldn't be broken but can.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey
Solid brass tubing with LEDs in them and magnets stuck into each end. Not much of a stretch - you haven't seen vinyl shower curtains with magnets in the corners to make them stick to the cast iron tub??
Reply to
Clare Snyder
So some form of magic brass that lets light through?
Holy shit, people still use iron tubs? Two of us tried to get one of those out of a second floor bathroom once, we had to use industrial strength rope and slide it slowly down the stairs. Luckily it wasn't a split staircase with a corner.
[newsgroup header corrected after being vandalised]
Reply to
Commander Kinsey
Sure, people still use iron tubs. People pay big money to have refurbished cast-iron clawfoot tubs.
We took a cast iron tub out of our bathroom four years ago. Busted it up with a sledge hammer and took it out in pieces. Ours was vintage 1947, so not a clawfoot.
Cindy Hamilton
Reply to
Cindy Hamilton
I gave mine away to someone who wanted to use it as a garden planter, then was told by a friend they're worth a fortune, even just for scrap metal!
[newsgroup header repaired after pointless vandalism]
Reply to
Commander Kinsey
SLOTTED brass tubes
Even a lot of "current" tubs are cast iron, not stamped steel. Really THIN cast, covered with porcelain enamel. The last one I removed went out in pieces after scoring it with an angle grinder and smacking it with a sledge hammer
Reply to
Clare Snyder

Site Timeline Threads