Wow, expensive lighting!

Brass is not magnetic.

Reply to
Thomas

Don't suppose they've discovered that yet, do you?

Suppose _just maybe_ they've got some structural/the magnets inside the brass tubing?

It isn't well written at all, but they didn't say it was _only_ brass nor that the brass was a solid bar; only that the brass itself is solid brass, not plated.

Clearly, although the pictures are contrived to not show, the brass has to be tubing that covers the structural components which include the magnets and all...

Reply to
dpb

Er.... baths are made of plastic. I can pick mine up with one hand (before fitting it obviously).

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Not all baths are made of plastic. I get a bunch of hits when I google for cast iron bath tub.

I don't have a bath anymore. My 152 cm by 81 cm shower base is cast acrylic and weighs a lot. Maybe close to 50 kilograms; I can't quite remember how much effort it was to fit it. A lot, but my husband did most of the work.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

You need to get out more and receive some education.

Not all baths are plastic.

Reply to
Fredxx

That's hardly education, knowing what idiots buy.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

You'll get a bunch of hits for vintage cars too, doesn't mean they're a good idea.

I have a bath but not for bathing in.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Yeah, you poms have always kept the coal in it.

That's why you are so smelly.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Jumpin' in here ... our cast iron tub was made in 1911 , and could probably be busted up with a sledge hammer . If you could get past my wife ! As far as the lighting , I could fabricate that in my shop . The light segments might be problematic , but I think if one could string the segments together in series and use a current-limited voltage variable power supply it would work just fine . Would have to use dimmable LED's ...

Reply to
Snag

It has small rare earth magnets glued into the ends .

Reply to
Snag

I could fabricate the structural components in my shop . The hardest part would be slotting the brass tubing .

Reply to
Snag

Which aren't made of earth.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Go for it. At the stated price, you' could make a fortune.

It does confuse me when Americans say shop - I assume that's short for workshop? In the UK a shop is where you buy things.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

All education is a waste of resources. People should learn on the job. Then they'd learn what they really need to know, and could start work far earlier in life.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Nothing exotic there construction-wise, certainly...at least from appearances.

One gathers these are done one-off from the description to justify the pricing structure and sell as art rather than lighting fixture.

Reply to
dpb

Which is why they're so rare...

The 17 rare-earth elements are cerium (Ce), dysprosium (Dy), erbium (Er), europium (Eu), gadolinium (Gd), holmium (Ho), lanthanum (La), lutetium (Lu), neodymium (Nd), praseodymium (Pr), promethium (Pm), samarium (Sm), scandium (Sc), terbium (Tb), thulium (Tm), ytterbium (Yb), and yttrium (Y).

Reply to
dpb

On 8/4/2020 6:56 PM, Commander Kinsey wrote: ...

I don't think I'd want my heart surgeon training that way, sorry...

Reply to
dpb

Now, if you had a Bridgeport...

Reply to
rbowman

Are you dissin' my RF45 clone ? Gear head and dovetail column with plenty of space under the spindle with the head cranked all the way up . And it only weighs 800 lbs . The problem would be keeping the tube still under machining forces . Probably take a custom milled clamp fixture ...

Reply to
Snag

Rare earth metals and magnets aren't actually rare. 60 Minutes did a segment on that in their latest season.

Reply to
Jim Joyce