Windows Question

For those of you who have, for the most part, had problems, this question is for you. Many people swear by their choice in windows but some swear at them. Some say you get what you pay for and of those I've heard Anderson or Pella are the best.

I'm going to be building in the coming years and will most likely specify a low-e windows. The best judge though is time. If you have had horror stories with windows and would like to advise to avoid a certain make or manufacturer I'd love to know what happened and why you would never buy them again especially if you have had long term experience with various manufacturers products.

Reply to
Gary KW4Z

The siding installer that was recommended to me also did windows, and they used Alside brand windows. I'd never heard of them before, but they were quite a treat, and a hell of a lot expensive than the brnads with so much marketing overhead. No leaks or drafts, quiet smooth operation, tilt in to clean and all that jazz. Energy bills went down in a hurry. Can't say as to longevity though. Vinyl windows evidently degrade with age, like anything, but they degrade differently. I no longer have that house so I can't say anything furthe.r

I put an Andersen oak sliding door in an 8' width into that house too. That door was the friggin cat's ass. Very very very well made. Cost a pretty penny, but a buddy was the milwork supervisor at a local home depot and spied it for me when it came back on special order return and he got my hands on it before the forklift goons had destroyed it. That was a nice discount for sure buying out of the special order return bin...

My family's had Andersens put in other homes over the past 25 years or so, and you can't go wrong with their quality it seems. I don't know about the renewal line, no experience there.

Best Regards,

-- Todd H.

Todd H.

You might re-think the need for windows in the first place. Any windows.

Build the house completely underground.

Bill Gates lives in a cave; so can you.

Reply to
HeyBub

Many who say "you get what you pay for" are just trying to justify spending too much.

Pella seems way overpriced, but can't say anything bad about Andersen - their 50yr old windows in my house are holding up just fine.

Reply to
Bob (but not THAT Bob)

Anderson and Pella the best........................ never heard of it if HD sells it........it is far from the best you would be lucky if anything HD sells is 2nd best.

Peach Tree, Marvin and Harvey Majesty are the best after 30 years of installs Anderson 400 series is a quality window...........but the 200 series is crap.

| | I'm going to be building in the coming years and will most likely specify a | low-e windows. The best judge though is time. If you have had horror | stories with windows and would like to advise to avoid a certain make or | manufacturer I'd love to know what happened and why you would never buy them | again especially if you have had long term experience with various | manufacturers products. |

Reply to
wildo

Pella has a line they make for HD and others like that If you go to a Pella dealer, they sell the better lines. I bought my sliding door from one right across from HD and HD did not carry what I was able to get there.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Why do you say this ?

I actually like the way 200 series fold in for cleaning better then the

400 series.
Reply to
Brent Bolin