Win 7 or XP?

I saw some pundits saying that since Win 10 came out. All I know is I've had it for 9 months now and no one is making me pay anything. Nor have I heard it happening to any other home users. Plus, if they ever did try to do that, I can still go back to Win 7. Which BTW, you could have done too. If you put Win 10 on it, you're registered and OK'd to put it on again at any time in the future.

Reply to
trader_4

It is user friendly once you get used to it... just took me a while.

I had to just tell myself : this is not Photoshop

Reply to
philo

Looked but I guess I have enough software ...besides if I really need an image processed right, I let my wife do it.

I build the machines but she is the software expert.

Reply to
philo

Get the latest version you can. If you don't like the interface, there's something called classic shell (freeware) to make the start menu like it was.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Given the choices, Windows 7. if drivers and software weren't becoming an issue, XP would still be okay for the time being as well.

XP does this better, imo. Vista and above changed the way it's done and they have to check in every 180 days to authenticate the key they are using. XP doesn't. It doesn't even do it the first time, let alone require me to check in every so many days to prove I have the right to use it. I have multiple computers, so, having to purchase an individual license for each one that can be revoked at MS option doesn't sit well with me. If I purchased oem licenses for each one, I'd have enough in license costs alone to almost build another box. And, going that route, each machine is subject to product activation routines. Which also means if I make too many hardware changes or proceed to reload Windows for some reason, I might be forced to go thru the activation process again.

XP doesn't hassle me like this, not with the VLK. And, my linux machines have never so much as asked me to prove I have the right to use the OS. :) If I can find the time to verify all of the software I use can run under emulation within linux, I won't even have to worry about the next flavor of Windows on most of my production machines. Sadly, due to techie work I'm already forced to maintain various flavors of Windows in the event I have to do remote/phone based support. But, I don't have to run them for myself. :)

Reply to
Diesel

That was my initial impression too. I wasn't pleased. I believe I said something like "WTF are they thinking?"

Reply to
Diesel

HAHA! yeah ... I tried telling myself that, too. Then I dug out my old copy of photoshop and loaded it to this computer! :)

Reply to
Muggles

Per trader_4:

Sounds to me like I screwed up.

Oh Well....

Reply to
(PeteCresswell)

You still can get the Win 10 upgrade if you have Win 7 or 8 and you use "assistive technology". And AFAIK, they don't check to see what assistive tech you need are using, etc. ;)

trader_4