Win 7 or XP?

I understand. At some point, you'll make changes to your codebase that are no longer compatible with XP. Hopefully the new feature or way of doing something justifies going that route.

I understand that pov. I also understand the pov from the other side of the fence. Take, banking systems for example. The underlying code base that runs the show is decades older than myself. The interfaces have been modernized, but, the mainframe is still it's old self. It's people still manage to support it and ensure whatever new web based 'updates' they roll out for clients/atm machines still talk to it as needed.

It just depends on what the code is doing/being used for as to you're willingness to support it for xxx amount of time. Some projects aren't so easy to port, I'm sure you've been down that road yourself.

Reply to
Diesel

Possibly. It may not run at all, depending on when you call that api. Or, it might run upto the point where you reach out to that api.

Of course. It's been that way for decades. Prior to DLL. :)

See my other post for more on this.

Reply to
Diesel

I've been happy with firefox for years, I haven't checked to see what if any other browsers may still work under XP that are still being updated.

I don't dispute that in the least bit. I wasn't able to effectively plug a new verizon tablet into this machine the other day. The Windows

7 box and the linux boxs had no trouble with it. Hell, linux didn't even ask to find a driver. lol

Agreed.

Reply to
Diesel

Basically I just use which ever OS that will do the job best for what my project is.

Probably 80% of what I do can be done fine from Linux but if I need to use a Windows only app, I do not hesitate to turn on my Windows machine.

Last year I finally got around to scanning all my negatives and slides and the Windows software that came with my scanner did the best possible job so I used my Windows machine for several months.

I even have a Mac which occasionally comes in handy>

I re-loaded the OS on my wife's old iPhone and if I want a spare internet device I've now got one

Reply to
philo

First time I used GIMP I hated it, but eventually got used to it.

For what I'm doing it works fine but it is not Photoshop

Reply to
philo

I have Photoshop 7 running in WINE

None of "SE" editions I've tried will install.

No big deal I just have to use Windows then

Reply to
philo

May have to look at Inkscape never even heard of it before

Reply to
philo

Just for the heck of it I do have several VM's setup:

Ecom Station (OS/2)

XP Win8 Win98

Reply to
philo

I meant to say that it "feels" a lot like Vista .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

You can just disable the Windows 10 update service.

Reply to
Vic Smith

"In approximately March, 2017, Windows XP and Vista users will automaticall y be moved to the Firefox Extended Support Release (ESR).

Firefox is one of the few browsers that continues to support Windows XP and Vista, and we expect to continue to provide security updates for users unt il September 2017. Users do not need to take additional action to receive t hose updates. In mid-2017, user numbers on Windows XP and Vista will be rea ssessed and a final support end date will be announced."

That doesn't sound very reassuring for a person like the OP, who is deciding whether to load XP, Win 7 or Win 8 on his machine.

I have no idea what vlk edition is or what possible significance it has for the OP.

Reply to
trader_4

Per Ed Pawlowski:

+1, but with the observation that I have 8.1 on my laptop and, since installing something called "Start8" and tweaking a few settings, it looks/feels pretty much like Windows 7 - i.e. it's 100% livable for me.
Reply to
(PeteCresswell)

Just out of curiousity, why didn't you upgrade to Win 10 when you could have for free?

Reply to
trader_4
[snip]

The current version of Firefox works on XP, but that's about to change. IIRC the next version is the last one.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

I've used Gimp, too, but it's not as user friendly as Photoshop, so I ended up loading my older version of Photoshop and use that the majority of the time.

Reply to
Muggles
[snip]

I do too. For important things that require Windows, I use 7. The Win 10 installation is just for testing (I want to see how my website works in Edge).

Reply to
Mark Lloyd
[snip]

I remember when I got the Win 8 preview. It made my PC look like an iPhone. I don't like that, especially on a computer.

[snip]
Reply to
Mark Lloyd

They have a wonderful mail list over on

Those guys will solve anything for you.

And googling inkscape problems/howto's will give tons of hits.

Hi Maggie,

Take a look at Inkscape:

They have a wonderful mail list over on

Those guys will solve anything for you.

And googling inkscape problems/howto's will give tons of hits.

Per trader_4:

I don't trust Microsoft.... plus it seemed like their new business model was making people monthly or annual fees to use products rather than letting them purchase outright.

"If a product is free, chances are that *you* are the product...".

Don't have the grey matter or the knowledge to assess my impression further, but there did not seem to be any incremental benefit to

10...and I may not even live long enough to see security support stop for either 7 or 8..... and if I do, and my IQ is still above room temperature, and I have to spring for a few 10 or 12 or whatever-it-is-by-then licenses... Oh well...
Reply to
(PeteCresswell)